Hoyas Find Consistency

It was a great weekend for the Georgetown sailing team. The team sailed in four competitions and finished in the top 10 of every single one.

Up in Kings Point, N.Y., one of the Blue and Gray squads participated in the Nevins Trophy regatta. Led by sophomore Chris Barnard’s stellar performance that earned him a share of first place, the Hoyas ended up finishing second out of 20 competing schools.

Senior Charlie Buckingham and sophomore Hilary Kenyon came in third in the A division while senior Scott Furnary and junior Kate Canty sailed to a fourth-place finish in the B division.

The team also came in second out of 20 schools at the New York Maritime Open in Throggs Neck, N.Y., outracing everyone but Hobart College. This group was comprised of four sophomores, with Michael Schalka and Leslie Cowen sailing together and Dan Eichler paired with Kelly Meyering. Schalka and Cowen came in fifth in the A division with 34 points, while Eichler and Meyering also sailed well, finishing second in the B division with 21 points.

The team also competed at the Mrs. Hurst Regatta hosted by Dartmouth College. In this regatta, the team came in 10th in a field of 19 teams with a score of 148 points. Freshman Amanda Taselaar and senior Ashley Phillips sailed to a seventh-place finish in the A division while freshman Nancy Hagood and sophomore Tory Lynch took 10th place in the B division.

The fourth event for the sailing team was the 18-team Hatch Brown Regatta, which MIT and Harvard jointly played host to. There, senior Michael Campbell and sophomore Annalee Leggett finished in 12th in the A division. Juniors Sydney Bolger and Rebecca Evans finished in seventh place in the B division while junior Lauren Burke and senior Leah Volk earned 13th place in the C division. As a whole, the team finished in ninth place.

The only downside of the weekend was that adverse weather conditions played a role in the competitions. Three of the competitions – the Nevins Trophy, Hatch Brown Regatta and New York Maritime Open – were forced to cancel their scheduled Sunday races, robbing the Blue and Gray of a chance to climb further up the standings.

Next weekend the sailing team will look to build on its success, as it will be competing at the Laser South Qualifiers in Annapolis, Md., the MAISA Women’s Singlehanded at Annapolis, and St. Mary’s Intersectional at St. Mary’s City, Md.