WOMEN’S SOCCER | Big East Wins Propel GU to Conference Lead

MICHELLE XU FOR THE HOYA Junior defender Emily Menges (3) was named Big East defensive player of the week after her performance in Georgetown’s two weekend wins. There are no easy games in college soccer — especially in the Big East. But the No. 19 Georgetown women’s soccer team made things look pretty easy this weekend, snatching two wins over conference foes Connecticut and Providence to break the double-digit mark in season victories. The Hoyas (10-1-1, 4-0-0 Big East) began their weekend by crushing Connecticut (6-4-1, 2-2-0) Friday afternoon at North Kehoe Field. The Blue and Gray received two goals from sophomore midfielder Daphne Corboz and a goal each from junior forwards Kaitlin Brenn and Colleen Dinn., leading to a 4-0 win.
MICHELLE XU FOR THE HOYA
Junior defender Emily Menges (3) was named Big East defensive player of the week after her performance in Georgetown’s two weekend wins.
There are no easy games in college soccer — especially in the Big East. But the No. 19 Georgetown women’s soccer team made things look pretty easy this weekend, snatching two wins over conference foes Connecticut and Providence to break the double-digit mark in season victories.
The Hoyas (10-1-1, 4-0-0 Big East) began their weekend by crushing Connecticut (6-4-1, 2-2-0) Friday afternoon at North Kehoe Field. The Blue and Gray received two goals from sophomore midfielder Daphne Corboz and a goal each from junior forwards Kaitlin Brenn and Colleen Dinn., leading to a 4-0 win.

“I thought it would be a tough game. … I also felt that they would give us some problems because of the attack and personnel that they have,” Head Coach Dave Nolan said. “I think it helped us get off to a quick start and score a couple goals.”

Georgetown got on the board in the ninth minute, when Brenn connected on a pass from freshman forward Sarah Adams. Seven minutes later, Corboz scored when Adams found her open in the middle of the box. Corboz then notched her second goal in the 23rd minute, burying a loose ball in the box.

The Hoyas took a commanding 3-0 lead into halftime. But perhaps more impressive than Georgetown’s offensive effort was its ability to contain Connecticut, holding the Huskies to just two shots on goal in the first half.

“I thought that even at 3-0 at halftime, they were very dangerous,” Nolan said. “I felt that [senior forward] Danielle Schulmann up front for them — and the kids that were playing underneath, the two attacking midfielders — were starting to get into a little bit of a rhythm.”

The Blue and Gray kept the scoring going in the 65th minute, when Dinn headed in a set piece from junior defender Emily Menges for what would be the final goal of the game.

“[Connecticut] had some really good results coming in, and we definitely knew it was going to be a really tough match. … Fortunately, we came out on top,” Menges said.

Georgetown’s second win of the weekend was a 1-0 home clash with Providence (7-4-1, 2-2-0 Big East) on Sunday afternoon. Although the Hoyas outshot the Friars, 16-4, they managed only one goal. The lone score of the contest came in the 28th minute, when Brenn cleaned up the rebound from sophomore forward Jessica Clinton’s shot.

“I felt that it was important that we go out to a good start, which may have deflated them a little bit. But we never did. We didn’t play our best,” Nolan said. “We got a goal, and we had some chances …, but I didn’t feel that we played as [well] as we had been playing recently.”

Providence battled Georgetown on every ball and maintained possession for much of the game. But the Hoya defense — led by freshman defender Neela Mohan, who was making her first career start after junior midfielder Alexa St. Martin was injured — prevented the Friars from any real opportunities.

“This is the 12th game. Including two exhibition games, 14 games in total. And this is probably the flattest we have been,” Nolan said. “So that’s not bad if you only have one of those in 14 games.”

With the win, the Hoyas improve to 4-0 in the Big East, and now sit atop the league’s National Division.

“This is the best start to a season. We have never gone 4-0 in the conference, and [this is] the fastest we ever got to 10 wins, so this is really exciting for us,” Brenn said.

Although the Hoyas are a relatively young team, they have stepped up after the departure of a stacked senior class last spring. The team is led by Corboz, who has nine goals and four assists thus far.

“You have good players, and when they finally get a chance to play, they show you what they can do,” Nolan said. “We had some players who maybe didn’t get to play as much last year. [Brenn] has showed now what a good player she is. Moving [Corboz] into the middle, into her favorite spot, shows how dangerous she is.”

The Hoyas will return to the pitch next Sunday at Pittsburgh (5-7-1, 0-3-1 Big East).