A Taste of the Ocean

COURTESY YIWEN HU The signature Frutti di Mare dish at Fiola Mare.

I have been long aware that when it comes to food, my favorites are only temporary. For example, despite my mom’s effort to convert me into a completely omnivorous foodie, I am still reluctant to eat some foods, especially eggplant.

Although eggplant remains on my “no” list, since my time in the U.S., I have come to peace with several kinds of food that I previously rejected. These include yogurt, to which I now have addiction, and tomato, which I no longer push to the side of the dish with my fork. However, the biggest change of heart, or taste buds, is my newfound love of seafood, in particular, lobster dishes.

This fondness for seafood platters started at Filomena (1063 Wisconsin Ave. NW). Tucked away rather inconspicuously on Wisconsin Avenue, away from the hustle and bustle, Filomena has been a Georgetown legend for nearly 35 years. Having visited this Italian restaurant five times, I can say without exaggeration that it is almost impossible to go wrong there. Whichever dish you pick, you are guaranteed a satisfying meal. Nonetheless, it was the famous Cardinale lobster sauce that made my dinners at Filomena truly memorable.

Perhaps the most popular dish at this gem of Italian cuisine is the Linguine Cardinale. Dubbed “Clinton’s favorite,” the generously portioned dish is composed of lumps of fresh lobster meat over a bed of linguine. Cooked al dente, the pasta is finished with the renowned creamy lobster bisque-flavored sauce. Another personal favorite has been the Risotto Scampi Di Corrado, though, unfortunately, the dish is no longer on the menu. However, rumor has it that the restaurant is always glad to take customary orders, so chances are that this marvelous seafood risotto is still available.

After discovering my love for lobster at Filomena and given is is one of the few types of seafood rarely available in Shanghai, I decided to seize the opportunity to get as much as I could in D.C. Fiola Mare (3050 K St. NW) granted my wish, and delivered another heavenly serving of lobsters. The restaurant sits along the Potomac River and light shades of color dominate the elements of its interior design — the place is resonant of the Mediterranean Sea.

After much debate, my party of two placed an order that included the signature Frutti Di Mare and the famed Fiola Maine Lobster Ravioli. The former came in an amazing presentation, with two huge lumps of barely-cooked lobster meat sitting in the middle. Fresh as it was, the lobster had a refreshing taste and a tender, but slightly chewy texture that was much to my liking. Interestingly enough though, the biggest stars of the platter were the 12 oysters. Despite the subtle nuances in flavor, each was incredibly fresh and briny, rendering me enamored right after the first bite.

The ravioli, on the other hand, proved a little disappointing. The pasta was stuffed with lobster meat, and tossed in the sauce together with more lobster. The dish arrived still steaming in the bowl, whetting my appetite even more. As much as I enjoyed the lobster in the dish, the raviolis themselves failed to stand out. The house-made sauce, much like the Cardinale, was based on lobster bisque, and was further flavored by sprinkles of chives. However, either in taste or texture, it was still no comparison with its counterpart at Filomena.

On days when I crave for lobsters, but feel like going more casual, Luke’s Lobster (1211 Potomac St. NW) is an optimal option. The well-known lobster roll deserves its reputation. Inside the split-top bun are chilled lobster meat made Maine-style with mayo, lemon butter and spices on top. The lobster bisque has also been a pleasant surprise. Its richness and creaminess far exceeded the expectation that I had had for this tiny chain restaurant.

The District is, perhaps a little unexpectedly, a great place to taste some truly divine seafood. I’m just grateful that my tastes have changed, and I am able to enjoy these delights.

Yiwen Hu is a rising sophomore in the School of Foreign Service. Tastes of the District appears every other Wednesday at thehoya.com