WOMEN’S LACROSSE | Georgetown Dominates UC Davis in Home Win

After three straight road losses, the Georgetown women’s lacrosse team got its season back on track with a dominant 20-11 win at Cooper Field against University of California, Davis on March 24.

The Hoyas (6-4) started the game with a goal from senior midfielder Francesca Whitehurst just three minutes into the first half. After the Aggies (6-6) responded a few minutes later, the Hoyas answered, scoring five straight goals. Following two more goals from Whitehurst and a goal from junior midfielder Natalia Lynch, Georgetown was up 10-4 going into halftime.

At the beginning of the second half, the Aggies started to cut the deficit. After a UC Davis goal 43 seconds into the half and a response by Georgetown senior attack Taylor Gebhardt, UC Davis went on to score three unanswered goals. Following the scoring spree by the Aggies, the Hoyas came back by tallying three scores of their own to make the game 14-8 with 14:32 left on the clock. The two teams traded goals back and forth until the Blue and Gray finally took control, scoring five straight to finish the game and cruising to a 20-11 victory. The 20 goals Georgetown finished with are the most the team has scored all season.

Georgetown continued to receive help on offense from a variety of sources. While Whitehurst led the team with five goals and an assist, nine of her teammates contributed in the scoring column. Gebhardt also got involved, finishing with three goals and two assists. Junior attack Michaela Bruno notched two goals and two assists of her own, and Lynch ended the game with two goals and one assist.

As a team, the Hoyas outperformed the Aggies in every aspect of the game. The Blue and Gray attempted 28 more shots, committed eight fewer turnovers and picked up four more ground balls than its opponent.

MARGARET FOUBERG/ THE HOYA | Junior midfielder Natalia Lynch, right, cradles by two UC Davis Defenders at Cooper Field on March 24. Following her two-score performance in the win, Lynch now has 20 goals on the season.

In net, senior goalie Haelle Chomo totalled five saves in the contest, while junior goalie Micheline DiNardo stopped two shots in 14:08 minutes of play.

Georgetown dominated the game on offense but has room for improvement in efficiency of shots taken, according to Head Coach Ricky Fried.

“It always feels good to get a win,” Fried said in a postgame interview with GU Hoyas. “Statistically, we dominated a lot of possession, but we weren’t very disciplined on how we were shooting today. We need to make sure we’re coming out with a higher sense of urgency from the very beginning.”

Although Georgetown has dropped three of its last four games, it has put up strong performances against formidable opponents in all the defeats. This pattern was especially true in a 13-10 loss against No. 15 Loyola Maryland. Lynch led the way for the Hoyas with a hat trick and an assist for four points in the game.

The Hoyas will look to show more discipline and urgency next week as they enter Big East conference play. The team will travel to Indianapolis to face the Butler Bulldogs on Saturday at 12 p.m.