WOMEN’S BASKETBALL | 2021-22 Big East Power Rankings

WOMENS BASKETBALL | 2021-22 Big East Power Rankings
  1. UConn — UConn finished last season with a perfect 18-0 conference record. The Huskies are poised to be even more powerful this season, as all of their starters are returning, including Big East Preseason Player of the Year Paige Bueckers. The squad is adding the talented first-year guard Azzi Fudd, the top high school women’s basketball prospect from the class of 2021. 
  1. DePaul — DePaul stands as the most likely threat to UConn’s dominance. The Blue Demons returned all of last season’s starters after finishing fourth in the conference. With its high-scoring offense, ranked eighth in the country last season, and experience, expect DePaul to contend for a top conference finish.
  1. Seton Hall — Seton Hall has been a strong opponent in the Big East for the past couple seasons. Four of the Pirates’ top five leading scorers are returning, including Big East First Team forward Andra Espinoza-Hunter and guard Lauren Park-Lane. In the past eight years, the Pirates have either met or exceeded preseason poll expectations six times.
  1. Marquette — Marquette follows closely behind Seton Hall in preseason rankings. Last season, the Golden Eagles faced UConn in their fifth consecutive Big East conference final and clinched an at-large NCAA tournament berth. Two new transfers, combined with Marquette’s history of deep Big East tournament runs, should position the Golden Eagles to compete with top Big East programs. 
  1. Villanova — The Wildcats found success late last season, reaching the semifinals in the Big East tournament after upsetting DePaul. Villanova star forward Maddy Siegrist, who led the Big East in scoring both overall and in the league, will return, giving the team a dangerous offensive edge. 
  1. St John’s — While St. John’s finished last season’s conference play 4-12, the Red Storm brought themselves to the quarterfinals of the conference tournament. The Red Storm have four starters returning, and are adding transfer forward Danielle Cosgrove and guard/forward Danielle Patterson from Notre Dame and Indiana.
  1. Creighton — Creighton are hovering in a similar position to St. John’s The Bluejays struggled to play games last season because of COVID-19 complications, but they ended on a high note by beating Seton Hall in the quarterfinals of the Big East tournament. Creighton has three returning starters and looks to hone the talents of young players like forward Emma Ronsiek, who finished second on the team in scoring last season. 
  1. Providence — Providence is predicted to see another mediocre season after finishing seventh in the conference and making it to the conference tournament quarterfinals last year. However, changes on their roster may give Providence the boost needed to stay competitive in conference play. The Friars boast eight new players, including two-time Maine Gatorade Player of the Year and forward Emily Archibald. Providence’s additions must make up for the team’s loss of 48% of its scoring, 46% of rebounding, and 63% of its assists from last season.
  1. Georgetown — The Hoyas struggled last season, only winning two games and getting knocked out in the first round of the Big East tournament. However, this season Georgetown has graduate forward Anita Kelava returning. In addition, leading scorer Kelsey Ransom should steer the Hoyas. Georgetown has the potential to cause major upsets this season.
  1. Xavier — The Musketeers finished ninth in the conference last year, recording two conference wins out of just 10 conference games. With many new players and transfers, like former JUCO All-American Shaila Beeler, Xavier has the opportunity to reinvent itself to be a serious conference threat this year.
  1. Butler — Butler did not find its footing last season, finishing 3-15. The Bulldogs’ second leading scorer, Genesis Parker, is returning, and they are adding the transfer talent of Furman’s Celena Taborn and Eastern Kentucky’s Kendall Wingler. These new weapons will help try to improve their standing this season, but they may not be enough to help Butler earn conference wins.