WOMEN’S TRACK AND FIELD | Hoyas Set the Tone for Outdoor Season

The Georgetown University women’s track and field team had a strong start to its outdoor season at the Fred Hardy Invitational, where they competed against schools from all over the East Coast. 

After a successful indoor season prior to the meet, the Hoyas set the stage for the rest of their season with an impressive showing at the University of Richmond. The March 17 meet was marked by elemental challenges, as less-than-ideal weather conditions and rain seemed to persist throughout the entire competition. 

Most notable were the efforts of sophomore sprinter and jumper KC Ashiogwu, sophomore sprinter and hurdler Renee Newton and first-year sprinter Jadah Fitzgerald, who swept the podium in the 400-meter dash to earn first, second and third place, respectively. Ashiogwu recorded an impressive time of 56.91, with Newton finishing right on her heels with a time of 57.38 and Fitzgerald rounding out the podium with a time of 57.55. Junior sprinter and hurdler Grace Smiechowski also competed in that race, finishing in sixth place with a remarkable time of 59.13. 

In the 800-meter contest, graduate middle distance runner Sami Corman took home the gold with an astounding time of 2:08.05, ranking third in the nation and earning her the Big East Women’s Track Athlete of the Week award. Corman led the way for a triple of Hoyas who placed in the top 10 of the race. Junior distance runner Mary Hennelly placed seventh with a time of 2:15.96 and was immediately followed by senior distance runner Pippa Nuttall, who placed eighth with a time of 2:16.28. 

GUHoyas| Graduate middle distance runner Sami Corman, left, won the 800m and was recognized as the Big East Women’s Track Athlete of the Week.

Finally, in the 100-meter competition, sophomore sprinter and jumper Chloe Williams placed third in an exciting race, earning an impressive time of 12.81. She was joined in the top 10 by her teammate, graduate jumper Eni Akinniyi, who ran for a time of 12.94 and earned sixth place in the event. 

After a great start to the 2023 outdoor season, the Hoyas will make their way to the Raleigh Relays, hosted by North Carolina State University in Raleigh, N.C., where they will be competing alongside the men’s team from March 23 to 25. There, the men will have the opportunity to match the lofty standards that the women have set.

Alton McKenzie, the director of track and field and cross country, told Georgetown Athletics that the meet was a great outdoor season opener for the women’s team.

“We’re looking forward to having more of our team to open up their season next week at the Raleigh Relays and excited for what’s in store this outdoor season,” McKenzie said in a March 17 Georgetown Athletics press release. 

The United States Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association announced March 21 that the Georgetown women’s track and field and cross country team earned 15th place in the Terry Crawford Program of the Year mid-year standings, making it the only Big East team to earn recognition.