Search for New Georgetown Mascot Continues Following Death of Jack the Bulldog

The search for Georgetown University’s new mascot continues following the passing of mascot Jack the Bulldog on July 10. 

Georgetown is currently in the process of finding the next Jack, but has not made a definite statement on the mascot’s arrival. Cory Peterson, Jack’s caretaker before his death and a Georgetown University representative, did not respond to questions from The Hoya regarding plans for a future mascot. 

According to previous university statements, the university will announce the future of its mascot around the start of this semester.

“Georgetown has begun the search for a new mascot, and more information will be shared when available,” Georgetown’s mascot website reads.

For students, the absence of a new Jack as the semester starts has been surprising and sad.

Dylan Shapiro (CAS ’26) said that the lack of Jack, particularly at orientation events for new students and start-of-semester traditions like the Welcome Back Jack picnic, has taken away from new students’ experience starting at Georgetown.

“Having a Jack the Bulldog to rely on really brought students together in a lot of ways,” Shapiro told The Hoya. “There were no Jacks at the Welcome Back Jack picnic. I just think things like that really take away from some of our identity.”

Felix Rice (CAS ’26) said Jack’s death deprived Georgetown students of a dog they could befriend and come to love.

“It’s sad because he brought the school together and we missed seeing him on campus,” Rice told The Hoya. “He kind of represented all of us.”

Jack was the eighth bulldog to become the university’s mascot. Faculty and students, particularly the Jack Crew, a group of students who take care of Jack and manage his public appearances, adored him. 

“Our most recent Jack was a very special pup, and many on campus were lucky to be the objects of his affection,” wrote Michael Woch (SFS ’26), a member of the Jack Crew. “The unconditional love that Jack received from his Crew was readily reciprocated, at least 10 fold.”

According to Peterson, Jack’s caretaker, almost every member of the Jack Crew had a special nickname for Jack, including “best friend,” “chicken” and “bubba.” 

The beloved bulldog was best known for his appearances at basketball games in the Capital One Arena, where he would ride around in a remote-controlled car.

“For Jack, he viewed Capital One as his house,” Peterson wrote to The Hoya.“He felt so at home there and loved the attention he got on and off the court. He met many friends there including countless students and alumni.”

Beyond the court, Jack was a part of Georgetown’s community and history, representing more than just school spirit, Woch said.  

“He was representative of the sense of connection and greater purpose that many at Georgetown have the unique opportunity of experiencing,” Woch wrote to The Hoya. “He was also a spunky, creative, persistent, loyal and generous little guy.”

The tradition of the mascot is decades-old at Georgetown. According to the university website, the first English bulldog was made a mascot in 1962. Though the dog was meant to be called “Hoya,” it supposedly only responded to “Jack.”

“The stories, the pictures, and the love for Jack are deep and embedded into Georgetown’s history and culture dating back to the first dog associated as Georgetown’s mascot,” Peterson wrote to The Hoya. “Jack is an important part of Georgetown’s history.”

Beyond the traditional sporting event appearances, Jack was often requested for special events and occasions. According to Fr. Christopher Steck, S.J., caretaker of the fifth Jack and the founder of the Jack Crew, these events ranged from wedding photos to visits to ailing kids. Steck’s Jack was equally beloved among the Georgetown community.

“I once received a note in my mailbox from a student I had recently met; the note expressed

his delight in meeting ‘one of the campus’ biggest celebrities,’” Steck wrote in a statement for the university. “I thought that was really over the top, but then realized that the note wasn’t addressed to me, but to Jack.”

“My favorite memory with Jack would have to be when I helped bring him to Georgetown’s ‘Bring Your Child to Work Day,’ in which Jack, ever patient, kind, and photogenic, posed with countless kids (and sometimes their faculty or staff parents),” Woch wrote. “In that moment, I saw community and love in action.”

Peterson said he will always remember the love Jack had for every member of the Georgetown community. 

“No matter who they were, Jack loved everyone unconditionally and with his whole heart,” Peterson wrote.