Weird Things That Happen to You on Long Runs

poorforrestI, like many Hoyas, have been training for the Nike Women’s Half Marathon that’s coming up in D.C. In doing so, I have reluctantly been on many long and interesting runs around the city. Here are some weird things that I’ve experienced while running with which any fellow runner could probably sympathize.

1. Running by Georgetown Cupcake. 

If you’re running around Georgetown and happen to turn down 33rd, running by the line of people contently waiting for delicious treats while you force yourself to keep pushing through the cramps that have already developed in the 6 blocks it has taken you to get there just isn’t the most motivating thing while you think about the 8 left to go.

notfairgiphy

2. Stopping at red lights. 

It’s just inconvenient. You just got a good pace going, and now you’re standing in a crowd of well-dressed city people who are also waiting to cross the street. Except you’re kind of jogging in place and panting and sweating all over them. I can’t imagine they enjoy it. spngbobmaxim3. Dealing with your headphones.

It could probably be scientifically proven that it is impossible to complete an entire distance run without either your headphones falling out of your ears or the wires tangling around your arms, hands and neck. So not conducive to trying to look super fit and athletic. It’s also not conducive to breathing, which is a problem.

tumblrtangled

4. Smiling/waving at other runners who don’t respond. 

I’m sure you’re working hard and you’re totally in the zone but it’s just plain rude.

tumblrwave

5. Realizing someone is trying to pass you. 

DON’T LET IT HAPPEN.

tumblrshow

6. Realizing they will definitely end up passing you.

OK, it’s happening.

tired

5. Tripping. 

There’s just no easy way to recover from it. That’s the end. Just cut your losses and go home.

tumblrfall

gifs: tumblir.com, maxim.com, giphy.com