CROSS COUNTRY | Women’s Team Wins Championship

The men’s and women’s cross country teams looked to cap off successful seasons this past weekend at the national championships, hosted by Indiana State in Terre Haute, Ind. The No. 15 men’s team recorded a 17th place finish while the No. 7 women’s squad outlasted Washington and Villanova for its first national championship in school history.

For the men, senior Mark Dennin placed 57th overall and first for the Hoyas. Following Dennin was graduate student Alex Lundy in 61st, junior Andrew Springer in 102nd, graduate student T.C. Lumbar in 160th and freshman John Murray in 211th. Juniors Ben Furcht and Bobby Peavey also ran but did not record points for the Blue and Gray.

Wisconsin took first place with 97 points, spoiling Oklahoma State’s hopes for a third championship in a row. The Cowboys still managed a second place finish, recording 139 points in the race. Freshman Lawi Lalang from Arizona capitalized on a strong finish to win the race individually, coming in more than seven seconds ahead of senior Chris Derrick from Stanford.

But the true story for the cross country program was the women’s team, which earned its first national championship and the school’s first since sailing in 2009. Led by All-American senior Emily Infeld, Georgetown (162 points) edged out Washington (170), Villanova (181) and Florida State (189)..

Infeld’s 4th place finish was the best on the squad, but the Hoyas’ considerable depth proved instrumental in the team’s victory. Graduate student Claire Richardson placed 50th, junior Emily Jones finished 54th, junior Kirsten Kasper came in 64th and freshman Katrina Coogan rounded out the performance with a 67th place finish.

Villanova senior Sheila Reid, whose incredible collegiate career rivals Infeld’s, won the event for second consecutive time. Following Reid was Oregon junior Jordan Hasay in a race that came down to the final 100 meters. Infeld held her own, besting Bogdana Mimic, a senior from Villanova, and allowing Georgetown to come out on top of the Big East champion.

Both the men’s and women’s performances are fitting endings to their promising seasons, and the women fulfilled their lofty preseason expectations in an emphatic fashion — by bringing yet another national championship to Georgetown.