Which Section of The Hoya is Right For You?

correct

The application due date for The Hoya is right around the corner (Friday, September 6) and we realized that some of you might be a little unsure which section you want to apply to. Have no fear! We had some of our staff members tell us what kinds of people they’re looking for and what kinds of people thrive in their respective sections. Take a look and be sure to get those applications in on time.

editorial

News
Like meeting interesting people? As a news writer, you’ll meet and interview students, faculty, administrators and business owners from every corner of Georgetown and the surrounding neighborhood. You never know when a 10-minute interview will turn into a two-hour conversation or when you’ll find out about a new club to join, show to see or person to keep in touch with. There is no better way to learn about Georgetown and integrate yourself into the campus community than joining the news section.
Curious? In news, you’ll discover new stories, information and even secrets as you report and investigate for your articles. The best reporters have a passion for digging and detail.
Aspiring writer? In news, you can write as much as you like, developing both your skills and your portfolio.
News is the biggest section — and the one with its name in the word newspaper — so it’s clearly the best.
~Emma Hinchliffe, Executive Editor
Opinion
If you enjoy hearing what other people think, like other people to hear what you think, or just have a lot of feelings then there’s no question that Opinion right for you. Opinionators enjoy facilitating campus dialogue, writing hard-hitting editorials and weeding oxford commas out of Op-Eds. While journalistic experience is not required, strong writing skills are preferred. All in all, we just have a lot of feelings.
~Katy Berk, Opinion Editor

The Guide
Do you get worked up over movies, wax poetic about your favorite dishes or love telling stories about interesting people? Then you should probably write for The Guide, The Hoya’s lifestyle and arts section. You can review new books, music and movies, talk about your favorite restaurants or write lifestyle pieces about the things and people that make Georgetown tick. We also have the best taste in gifs.
~Victoria Edel, Online Editor

Sports
Sports is fantastic because you get to cover the Hoyas across the country and around the world. From soccer national championships in Alabama to basketball exhibitions in China, sports is on the front lines of one of the country’s best athletic programs.
~Evan Hollander, Chair of the Board

Photo
Photo is great for people with creative minds that want to apply their talents to helping create a better-informed campus. From sports to speakers, we’ll help you find your passion. Plus, you’ll never find yourself so close to the Clinton’s, President Obama, or Bono again in your life and you’ll always have a high quality cover photo.
~AJ Brown, Photo Editor

Layout
Layout is a great section for anyone who has a good eye for design. As a layout assistant you would help put together the newspaper twice a week, from placing the articles and photos to designing graphics for print and online. Also, as an added bonus, you get to spend lots of time with your senior editor — me.
~Ian Tice, Layout Editor

Copy
the hoya’s copy secion is a hardworking group of perfectionists.. We check all articles for style, grammatical, and factual errors. We spend a lot of time in the Hoya office, sometimes staying until 11 p.m. at night but it is alot of fun. As the unsung heroes of the paper’s credibility, the Hoya relies on us to protect there reputation and that is rewarding.
If you cringed, winced, cried or felt physical pain upon seeing the errors in this description, then copy is the section for you.
-david chardack, copy Chief

Blog
The Fourth Edition (established in January 2012) is the newest editorial section of The Hoya and is accordingly one of the fastest-growing sections. Here at the blog, we are looking for innovative and passionate people who know how to be a little bit sassy at times. The blog can occasionally be silly and informal, but we also produce more serious content. The blog is great for people who would like to contribute a range of writing styles to The Hoya.
~Lindsay Lee, Blog Editor
publishing
Corporate Development
Corporate Development is the perfect section for anyone interested in learning more about Georgetown by talking to amazing GU grads and students who want to develop their grant-writing and development skills. Corp Dev is one of the newest sections, so there’s tons of room for innovative and creative ideas to further the division.
~Mariah Byrne, Director of Corporate Development

Accounting (formerly Finance)
Great for those with a mind for numbers and an interest in learning about the day-to-day financial operations that keep The Hoya’s operations running smoothly.
~Mary Nancy Walter, General Manager

Sales
If you’re good at interacting with people, have an interest in the business side of a newspaper and would enjoy the challenge of going into DC in search of potential clients, then sales is where you want to be. The sales department is in charge of bringing in all the advertising revenue for The Hoya, which is integral for making sure that it continues to exist as Georgetown’s official student-run newspaper. No prior sales experience is necessary — we are just looking for people with enthusiasm, creativity and a desire to get out into the city.
~Michael Lindsay-Bayley, Director of Sales

Personnel
Personnel is a great place if you are interested in how person-to-person interactions shape one’s experience at an organization. While we do handle day-to-day events like disputes and hiring new staff members, we largely focus on what new programs can be introduced or modified to make the overall experience at The Hoya better; new hires are given the freedom to pursue projects that interest them, but also have the responsibility that comes with direct accountability.
~Michal Grabias, Director of Personnel

Marketing
Marketing is a great place for anyone who wants to get a peek into the business side of The Hoya. We are looking for creative and dependable people who know how or are willing to learn the best way to promote The Hoya brand. Assistants help with developing and implementing marketing campaigns. If you are interested in brand management, campaign planning, ad creation, and even market research, Marketing is the place for you. Since the Marketing Department is the newest section of the paper (around for only 1.5 years), there’s still a lot to build and you will have a chance to have some hands on experience in developing how the department operates for years to come.
~Mullin Weerakoon, Director of Marketing