Alum’s GU Education Propels Air Force Career

Undersecretary of the Air Force Erin Conaton (SFS ’92) highlighted the effects of the fiscal constraints and upcoming budget negotiations on national security and the U.S. Air Force Thursday morning.

The discussion, held by the Center for Peace and Security Studies in the Mortara Center, emphasized the uncertainty with which Americans view the national budgetary situation.

Because of the cuts from the Budget Control Act of 2011, the Air Force has begun examining and developing plans for its budget under three main categories: fore-structure, modernization and readiness.

Conaton also addressed the debate over how much funding the military should receive.

During the Q-and-A session of the discussion, topics ranged from cyber warfare and security to the lessons learned from the Libyan civil war and how the budget cuts will affect the use of technology in the military.

Much of Conaton’s career success can be attributed to the education, both in and out of the classroom, that she received as an undergraduate at Georgetown.

“I think Georgetown’s broad-ranging diplomatic and security training has ended up giving me great skills not only on the Hill, but now at the Pentagon,” she said. “I think it’s really not only the great education but the opportunities for student leadership here that help set you up for the future.”

During her time on the Hilltop, Conaton served as chair of both the International Relations Club and the International Relations Association.

Conaton is now responsible for the affairs of the Department of the Air Force, which include organizing, training and equipping all personnel and overseeing the Air Force’s annual budget.