Rubino Steps Down as Burleith Citizens’ Association President

Burleith Citizens’ Association President Lenore Rubino announced that she will step down from her position as president when her term ends in early November, according to the October edition of the Burleith Bell, the BCA’s monthly newsletter.

Attorney Chris Clements, who has represented the BCA and the Citizens Association of Georgetown in D.C. Zoning Commission hearings of the 2010 Georgetown Campus Plan, will run for the position at the organization’s elections on Nov. 3.

Though she did not specify why she would not be running for the position again in her newsletter announcement, Rubino expressed confidence in her successor.

“His intelligence and dedication has garnered the respect of the BCA Board, the ANC and the [Citizen’s] Association of Georgetown,” she wrote. “He is committed to the well-being of our community.

Rubino has opposed Georgetown’s 2010 Campus Plan and student rental of properties in Burleith throughout her term as BCA president.

The Hoya reported on Oct. 4 that Rubino publicly applauded Mayor Vincent Gray for condemning the Campus Plan at the Advisory Neighborhood Commission 2E’s October meeting.

“We’ve witnessed the devastating loss of single-family homes being turned into student housing,” she said at the meeting.

Rubino also co-chaired the task force that drafted the ANC’s initial redistricting proposal this summer. The proposal, which recommended the creation of an eighth single-member district, has been criticized as unrepresentative of the student population.

Alykhan Merali (SFS ’13), spokesman for the student advocacy group DC Students Speak, said that he doubts this change in leadership will improve relations between the university and the community.

“I understand that her successor [Chris Clements] led the testimony against the Campus Plan at the zoning commission hearings, so I’m not exactly sure as to whether our relations will improve. But we do hope to have more dialogue with BCA,” he said.

Rubino and Clements did not respond to requests for comment by press time.