Dingell Now Longest-Serving Member of Congress

COURTESY OFFICE OF CONGRESSMAN JOHN DINGELL Rep. John Dingell has served as Michigan's congressman for 20,997 days since he was first elected in 1955.
COURTESY OFFICE OF CONGRESSMAN JOHN DINGELL
Rep. John Dingell has served as Michigan’s congressman for 20,997 days since he was first elected in 1955.

Today, Rep. John Dingell (D-Mich.) (C ’49, LAW ’52), will head in to his 20,997th day at work. Though he has said it is a day like any other, it marks a milestone for the congressman and Georgetown grad: Dingell will become the longest-serving member of Congress in its 224-year history.

Dingell, who was first elected in a special election in 1955 after his district’s former representative — his father — died, has been re-elected 29 times in the 57 years, five months and 26 days since his first term in the 84th Congress. In that time he has cast more than 25,000 votes in the House — including those for several Civil Rights Acts and the establishment of Medicare — served under 11 presidents and with 2,419 House members and chaired the Energy and Commerce Committee.

“It is an absolute honor to serve the people of Southeast Michigan,” Dingell, 86, wrote in a statement to The Hoya. “This milestone is an honor to me, and I continue to be grateful for having the trust of the proud and hard-working people I’m blessed to represent.”

Dingell’s love for his position extends to his relationships with his staff.

“He interacts with everyone in the office all the way down to the interns,” said Jack Kiraly, a rising junior at American University who interned in Dingell’s office during spring 2013. “He works to learn your name, so you can build a personal and a professional bond with him.”

Georgetown’s influence on Dingell’s long career is clear.

“My time at Georgetown, both as an undergraduate and a law student, has been of immense value to me over the years in making personal decisions and those which affect the people of Michigan’s 12th Congressional district,” Dingell wrote. “Georgetown and the Jesuits gave me a great gift. They taught me about values, how to think and reason, and so much more that has benefitted me throughout my whole life. Simply put, Georgetown helped prepare me to become the man that I am.”

The congressman sometimes discusses his Georgetown years with his staff and interns.

“When we were having the intern lunch, we asked about his education. He’s definitely proud of his time at Georgetown; he definitely loves being there. It’s another part of the career he has had,” Kiraly said.

Daniel Cook (SFS ’15), a current summer intern in Dingell’s office, agreed.

“The first day, when I introduced myself as one of his interns, he asked where I went to school and said, ‘Oh, Georgetown, that’s a fine school,’” Cook said.

Throughout the weeks leading up to this milestone, Dingell’s constituents have offered thanks to their longtime representative.

“We’ve been getting congratulatory calls from people in the state, saying, ‘I saw him on ‘The Colbert Report,’ I heard him on NPR and I just want to say congratulations,’” Cook said.

Yesterday, Vice President Joe Biden surprised Dingell by stopping by his office to offer congratulations. Today, the congressman’s office will hold a luncheon in honor of Dingell, inviting members of his staff from the past five decades.

“Besides that, we’re just keeping things running to show we’re still in business,” Cook said. “We’re not resting on our laurels but still taking the time to respect him and celebrate how amazing this is.”