Georgetown Day Celebrates 15 Years

FILE PHOTO ALEXANDER BROWN Students listen to a capella performances on Copley Lawn during Georgetown Day, the annual campus-wide celebration of the end of spring semester.
FILE PHOTO ALEXANDER BROWN
Students listen to a capella performances on Copley Lawn during Georgetown Day, the annual campus-wide celebration of the end of spring semester.

This year’s Georgetown Day will continue the event’s fifteen-year tradition of celebrating the campus community with a larger variety of events for both students and faculty.

Activities today will officially begin at 6 a.m. with the faculty and staff appreciation breakfast in the Copley Formal Lounge. One professor will be presented with the Dorothy M. Brown Award, a faculty appreciation award voted on by students and a Georgetown Day tradition.

This will be followed by the blessing of the Jesuit graves at 10 a.m., before the day’s events on Copley and Healy Lawns begin at 12:30 p.m. and last until 5 p.m.

For faculty and staff, there will be a wine tasting in Dahlgren Quadrangle at 4:30 p.m. and a “grad bash” for seniors from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the Healey Family Student Center.

From 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m., there will also be a free outdoor concert on Copley Lawn featuring Hellogoodbye, a pop band from California, and Stone Cold Fox, an indie rock group from Brooklyn, N.Y.

Other student musical acts set to perform on Georgetown Day include Faces for Radio, Tigers Are Bad For Horses, the Saxatones, Georgetown Superfood, the Phantoms, Georgetown Gracenotes, GU Jawani and several others.

In addition to inflatables, performances, interactive sponsors and giveaways, food will be served from Swizzler Gourmet Hotdogs, Spoon University Georgetown, Astro Doughnuts and Fried Chicken, Chik-Fil-A and Epicurean and Company.

Late-night events will begin at 10 p.m. and last until 1 a.m. in the HFSC. These include free pizza and wings, an all-night happy hour in Bulldog Tavern, video games and a showing of “The Wedding Ringer.”

In addition, Georgetown Day serves as an art showcase, with students’ art pieces shown throughout the day. The grand opening of the Senior Art Showcase will be held at 6 p.m. in Walsh.

This year will also see the first annual Georgetown Day Cup, an initiative funded by Students of Georgetown, Inc. that will award prize money to the groups or individuals that bring the largest number of red Solo cups and aluminum cans to a variety of stations across campus.

Chair of the Georgetown University Student Association Senate Sustainability Subcommittee Theodore Montgomery (SFS ’18) said that he hopes this event will not only minimize the amount of recyclables thrown out but also serve as an educational opportunity.

“There isn’t on campus right now any sort of real sustainable party scene,” Montgomery said. “That is what we are trying to hit on with this event: make people think about this [and] make it part of the party scene.”

From 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, organizers will man stations at Henle Village, the Village B quadrangle and in front of the community room at Village A.

The Corp and the Corp Green Team worked together to provide the prize money and organize the event. The first-place prize is $300, and the first 200 participants will receive water bottles from PNC Bank.

Some students said that they think the initiative will be a positive way to combat the amount of waste created from the day’s events.

“I think it’s smart,” Audrey Imbs (COL ’16) said. “I think any little thing helps. I work at [Vital] Vittles and we triple up on solo cups [on Georgetown Day].”