Staffer of the Week: Daniel Smith

staffer-of-the-week1

Once a week, The Hoya recognizes one or two staffers who have done a particularly awesome job — now you can get to know about them, too. Here’s our interview with Staffer of the Week, Danny Smith:

unnamed
Hometown: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Year and School: SFS ’17
Major: International Politics
Position on The Hoya: Photo Editor

Why did you earn Staffer of the Week?
I took the photos for the spring fashion issue of The Guide, put in requests for new photo equipment and was recognized “for being a generally competent human being.” That last one is my favorite. It essentially means I do my job.

If you could be a Wisey’s sandwich, which would you be and why?
The predictable answer is Chicken Madness, but what people don’t realize is that I’d be a perennial favorite in the GUSA executive election. I also think there’s a hint of spice in my personality 😉 probably due to my Latino heritage.

Why did you decide to join The Hoya, and how has it contributed to your college experience?
I joined my freshman fall because I was pretty into photography and thought it’d be a good way to stay at it. It doesn’t hurt that being a staff photographer for The Hoya means you get to take photos of famous politicians and cover Georgetown basketball. Working for The Hoya has been a defining part of college for me – sometimes I feel like I go to Georgetown University, where I work for The Hoya and take classes on the side. But I’m definitely more than okay with that.

If you could be Jack the Bulldog for one day, what would you do?
I’d go for a nice walk down P Street, the most underrated street in Georgetown. Then I’d go down to the waterfront and play with the other dogs that get walked down there. After that, I’d be exhausted from all the attention Georgetown students would shower me with, so I’d take a nap up by the observatory. Not a bad day at all.

Photo: Michelle Xu/The Hoya