Staffer of the Week: TM Gibbons-Neff

Staffer of the Week: TM Gibbons-Neff

Once a week, The Hoya recognizes a staffer that has done a particularly awesome job — now you can get to know about them, too. As part of our Leavey 421 series, we’ll be posting quick interviews with each Staffer of the Week.photo-3

Name TM Gibbons-Neff
School College
Year 2015
Major English
Hometown Boston, Mass.
Positions on the Hoya Deputy business editor

Why did you earn staffer of the week? 

I got staffer of the week because I’m deputy editor of the new business page. It’s the second week running and everything went off without a hitch, and one of my stories about Rhino was pretty well read.

Tell us a little more about the new business section.

The business section will be composed of four parts: two stories, a column and an insider trading box, which are tips and tricks on how to get through the MSB and get ahead.

We have some great feedback from students about classes they’ve taken, ideas for interviews and things to bring to career events and information sessions. The stories will be business related and we’re going to try to break into the nitty-gritty components of what’s doing well, whether it be alumni businesses or student businesses or even just Georgetown students who are doing something extraordinary and deserve coverage.

The column is going to have a lot of great content: how to get hired by a start-up, the difference between a leader and manager — a broad spectrum of voices in the business field. So far we’ve had some military voices. Coming up we have a feature from a chief operating officer of a hundred year-old small business. We’re going to run the gamut of everything business.

What’s your favorite part about working for The Hoya?

Everyone at The Hoya is extremely professional and respectful. I’m 25 years old, and I was in the Marine Corps before I came to Georgetown. I have the utmost respect for the Senior Editors and everyone in the office who brings something unique to the table that I can learn from. I’m here to learn, and I might be older, but I’m still humbled every day by the people who work here — especially on production night. That’s just impressive.

If you could rename a Hoya staff meeting into a movie, what would it be called and who would star in it?

I don’t know what it would be called, but Paul Rudd would play Danny (editor-in-chief). And it would definitely be a Judd Apatow film. But I’m open for title suggestions.