GU Notches Pair of 3-1 Wins on Road

Georgetown women’s soccer (11-4, 5-2 Big East) took care of business on the road this weekend, securing wins against Cincinnati (8-6-1, 2-5 Big East) and Louisville (9-5, 3-4 Big East). Although they suffered a few losses in a middle stretch of the season, the Hoyas have put themselves in position for a run to the Big East playoffs and an NCAA playoff berth.

GEORGETOWN 3, CINCINNATI 1

It looked like it would be a rough Friday night for the Hoyas when, having already conceded a goal in the 13th minute of play, they saw the Cincinnati Bearcats close in on goal and almost score a second. In what was arguably the key moment of the match, Hoya senior goalkeeper Jackie DesJardin kept her team in the game with a clutch stop.

Perhaps the save woke up the Hoyas or DesJardin gave her teammates the time they needed to adjust to the artificial turf, but from there, the momentum turned.

With three minutes to go before halftime, senior midfielder Caitlin Durkee delivered the equalizer. Durkee received a pass from Hermann Trophy candidate and junior midfielder Ingrid Wells and deftly launched the ball into the upper right corner of the net.

Head Coach Dave Nolan stressed the importance of Durkee’s timing.

“If [Cincinnati] had gone into halftime up a goal they would have been able to regroup, but that gave us the advantage really.”

The Hoyas maintained their control of play in the second half. Seven minutes in, they scored the go-ahead goal when Wells took a pass from senior midfielder Amy Speck and fired a shot into the net. Just four minutes later, the Hoyas struck again off the boot of their leading goal-scorer, junior forward Camille Trujillo. From there on out it was a matter of sustaining the lead, and the Hoyas did that well, dominating play throughout the second half.

GEORGETOWN 3, LOUISVILLE 1

In a Sunday afternoon contest against Louisville in Kentucky, Georgetown notched their second straight 3-1 win. On its 10th shot of the game, the Hoya offense took the lead when freshman midfielder Alexa St. Martin headed in a cross from junior forward Samantha Baker.

From then on, Georgetown’s offense was spurred by Wells, who managed to match her previous performance, boasting a goal and an assist. She scored in the 52nd minute of play and then tallied her team-leading 10th assist seven minutes later when she crossed the ball into Trujillo, who headed the ball in for her ninth goal of the season.

“This has been [Well’s] best weekend for us since she came. . She has shown a growth in maturity and has dealt with the special attention she gets from our opponents,” Nolan said of the star midfielder.

The Blue and Gray offense was dominant over the weekend weekend and outshot its opponents 39-20 with a 21-7 advantage in shots on goal.

The Hoyas will be back on the road for two league matches this weekend. Today Georgetown will face off against Pittsburgh (4-9-2, 1-5-1 Big East) before taking on a strong West Virginia team (9-4-1, 5-1-1 Big East) on Sunday, before returning home for their final two games.