Improved Tigers the Favorite

Ah, the moment you have been waiting for. With college basketball’s most exciting weekend — and, as the case may be for us Georgetown fans, its most depressing — complete, Major League Baseball’s return on Easter Sunday could not come at a better time.

The holiday’s coinciding with the start of the season is perfect symbolism, each event instilling a sense of optimism as we transition to spring. With the season starting anew, every team again has the opportunity to reach the postseason, with surprises not just possible but probable. In 2012, the Orioles and Athletics each survived unfavorable forecasts to reach baseball’s promised land. With that said, it is always a fun exercise to put my hand over the crystal ball and to try to predict the unpredictable season ahead. Beginning with this week’s American League picks and concluding in two weeks with my National League selections, I present my 2013 MLB season preview. Caution: I guarantee no guarantees.

American League Playoff Picks: Toronto Blue Jays (East), Detroit Tigers (Central), Los Angeles Angels (West), Texas Rangers and Tampa Bay Rays (Wild Card)

Projected AL East Standings:

1. Toronto Blue Jays

2. Tampa Bay Rays

3. Boston Red Sox

4. New York Yankees

5. Baltimore Orioles

The AL East is arguably baseball’s most difficult division, and with traditional powers like the Yankees and Red Sox battling injuries, age and/or significant organizational changes, the division crown is as wide open as ever. The Blue Jays made their bid for divisional supremacy this offseason by adding the likes of Jose Reyes, R.A. Dickey, Josh Johnson, Mark Buehrle, Melky Cabrera and others in a slew of blockbuster deals and signings to complement the likes of Jose Bautista, Edwin Encarnacionand Brett Lawrie to form the most complete and dynamic team in the division.

Despite trading No. 2 starting pitcher James Shields to Kansas City, the Rays maintain significant pitching depth to make a run at the division and wild card berth. Likewise, despite losing B.J. Upton to Atlanta, Tampa Bay expects improvement from Desmond Jennings, and the eventual arrival of top prospect Wil Myers — acquired from Kansas City in the Shields deal — will provide added pop to an otherwise lackluster lineup. After that, while the Yankees, Red Sox and Orioles could all in an ideal world somehow find their ways to the top of the division, there remain too many questions to be optimistic about their chances in 2013.

Projected AL Central Standings:

1. Detroit Tigers

2. Kansas City Royals

3. Cleveland Indians

4. Chicago White Sox

5. Minnesota Twins

Although the Indians and Royals boast improved rosters, the division remains ripe for the picking for the Tigers. Returning Victor Martinez and signing Torii Hunter to an already powerful lineup anchored by reigning AL MVP Miguel Cabrera only improves a team that fell to the Giants in last season’s Fall Classic.

If any team will sneak up on the Tigers, it might be the Royals, who boast a collection of young bats expected to take the proverbial “next step” in 2013. Depending on the play of Eric Hosmer, MikeMoustakas, Salvador Perez and Lorenzo Cain, there could be a wide variability in terms of outcomes for KC, but I’d be apt to give an optimistic forecast for the quartet this season. The Indians also figure to make significant strides offensively with the additions of Nick Swisher and Michael Bourn, but starting pitching remains a major question.

Projected AL West Standings:

1. Los Angeles Angels

2. Texas Rangers

3. Oakland Athletics

4. Seattle Mariners

5. Houston Astros

By snagging Josh Hamilton from the rival Rangers, the Angels established baseball’s best trio of hitters by adding Hamilton to a lineup that already included Mike Trout and Albert Pujols. Losing ZackGreinke is undoubtedly a huge blow to a rotation that has seen significant turnover this offseason, but adding Tommy Hanson, Jason Vargas and Joe Blanton to a group led by Jered Weaver and C.J. Wilson puts L.A. still well above average.

Even with Hamilton bolting for the Angels, the Rangers still figure to contend, given the projected arrival of top prospect Jurickson Profar as well as Leonys Martin taking over in center field to help retain a top-ten offense. The Athletics, meanwhile, will remain in the hunt due to their excellent starting pitching rotation headlined by 25-year-old staff “veteran” Brett Anderson. While the Mariners should improve, their window of opportunity appears to remain further down the line, with a wave of prospects set to arrive in 2014. And as for the Astros? A strong candidate to land their third consecutive No. 1 draft pick in their first year in the American League, after making the switch this past offseason.

American League Championship Series — Detroit over Los Angeles

With the AL’s top hitter (Cabrera) and pitcher (Verlander), the Tigers have all the ingredients for more October magic after advancing to the World Series a year ago. Their only major questionable component is the back end of their bullpen, and Detroit will have ample time to make adequate changes before the trade deadline to complete their roster. The Angels and Blue Jays also have squads with few weaknesses, but ultimately, the Tigers are a cut above and should find themselves in the World Series again in 2013.

Preston Barclay is a junior in the McDonough School of Business. TURNING TWO IN THE 202 appears every Tuesday.