Local Rivals Vie for Spot In Sweet 16

After defeating the 12th-seeded Princeton Tigers on Sunday in College Park, Md., fifth-seeded Georgetown will look to continue its winning ways tonight against fourth-seeded Maryland in the second round of the NCAA tournament.

The Blue and Gray defeated the Terrapins, 53-45, at home on Nov. 16 in Georgetown’s second game of the season. The then-No. 13 Lady Hoyas relied on 21 points from sophomore guard Sugar Rodgers — while holding the then-No. 21 Terrapins to just 17.5 percent shooting from the field and 2-of-21 from long distance — in that early season victory.

Four months later, the two squads will meet again on Maryland’s floor after the Terrapins took down No. 13 seed Saint Francis (Pa.) on Sunday, 70-48.

Maryland was led by freshman forward Alyssa Thomas’ 16 points on 6-of-10 shooting, while sophomore forward Diandra Tchatchouang and junior guard Anjale Barrett each scored 11 points in the Terps’ first-round win. Overall, nine players scored for the Terps on 39.7 percent shooting, and they outrebounded the Red Flash, 49-32.

In tonight’s matchup, the Blue and Gray will have to focus on Thomas, who averages 7.1 rebounds per contest and leads Maryland in scoring with 14.2 points per game. Junior center Lynetta Kizer adds 13.3 points a game and leads the team in rebounding at 7.7 per contest.

Maryland primarily relies on a balanced inside and outside attack, with seven players averaging over 5.8 points a game. While they have shot 43.6 percent from the field, they have struggled from behind the three-point line at only 28.0 percent for the season. The Terrapins typically have an advantage on the boards, averaging 45.8 rebounds per game to their opponents’ 33.4.

Tonight’s game will provide an interesting clash of styles, as the Hoyas rely on outside shooting to counteract their generally poor rebounding. The winner will likely face overall No. 1 seed Connecticut in the Sweet 16 next weekend in the Philadelphia regional semifinal.

Georgetown-Maryland tips off at 7 p.m in College Park at the Comcast Center.