Madden Cover Curse Strikes Again in 2012

There is a big difference between logical and illogical superstitions. Many sports superstitions are baseless, followed mostly for show or tradition. Think of the playoff beard, the lucky jersey number orLeBron’s chalk tossing. These practices are based on nothing but speculation and hunches. Even the Curse of the Bambino was simply invented by angry Red Sox fans who were sour over their franchise’s inferiority.

But there is one curse that has had a real, consistent effect on the outcome of professional sports — the Madden Curse. Unlike most superstitions, this curse is based on consistent, observable patterns of player performance.

It all started in 2000, when Electronic Arts, the videogame giant that produces the wildly popular Madden NFL football series, featured Barry Sanders on the cover of its game. That year, Sanders abruptly announced his retirement before the season even started, a shock to most of the NFL community.

2000 was just the beginning. For the next decade, each Madden cover athlete has suffered a downfall or surprise in some way. Each is either injured, subject to an off-the-field controversy or experiences an unexpected decrease in production.

But don’t let me tell you what to believe. I’ll give you the facts, and you decide for yourself: Is it a coincidence or a curse?

2001, Eddie George, Titans running back: After rushing for over 1,500 yards and 14 touchdowns in the previous season, George failed to top the 1,000-yard mark for the first time in his career. The Titans lost in the playoffs, and George never rushed for more than 3.4 yards per carry in his last four seasons.

2002, Daunte Culpepper, Vikings quarterback: Culpepper threw 23 interceptions as the Madden cover boy, leading his team to a 6-10 record in 2002. He also set the NFL record for fumbles, coughing up 23. The curse later resurfaced, as he tore ligaments in both of his knees in 2005 and 2006.

2003, Marshall Faulk, Rams running back: Since starting for the Colts in 1994, Faulk had had an illustrious NFL career, including a Super Bowl victory and an NFL MVP award in 2000. Then Faulk was hampered by knee problems and only started 21 of 32 possible games in 2002 and 2003. He never rushed for 1,000 yards again.

2004, Michael Vick, Eagles quarterback: The curse quickly swarmed Vick — he broke his fibula in a preseason game, and his Falcons finished 5-11. The following year, Vick was arrested and jailed for his participation in a dogfighting ring and didn’t return to the NFL until 2009.

2005, Ray Lewis, Ravens linebacker: Lewis did not record a single interception for the first and only time in his career. Not much else to report here. I guess even the Madden Curse is scared of Ray Lewis.

2006, Donovan McNabb, Eagles quarterback: McNabb suffered two major injuries this year: a sports hernia in the first game and a torn ACL and meniscus about halfway through the year. He didn’t finish the season, and his popularity with the always-demanding Philadelphia fans quickly declined.

2007, Shaun Alexander, Sea-hawks running back: After bulldozing for over 5,000 yards and 60 touchdowns in the previous three seasons, a foot injury in 2007 caused him to miss six games. He failed to eclipse 900 yards in each of the next two years.

2008, Vince Young, Titans quarterback: Young injured his knee in 2008 and missed several games as a result. He lost favor with his fans, briefly went missing and was surrounded by rumors of depression and other emotional issues.

2009, Brett Favre, Jets quarterback: Favre threw 22 interceptions with the Jets and went 1-4 in the last five games of the season. He played through a torn bicep for most of the year.

2010, Larry Fitzgerald and Troy Polamalu, Cardinals wide receiver and Steelers safety: Fitzgerald managed to escape the curse, as he posted some of the best numbers of his career. Polamalu was not as lucky — he sustained two knee injuries and missed several games.

2011, Drew Brees, Saints quarterback: Brees played with a torn MCL for six weeks and threw a career-high 22 interceptions. His team was upset by the Seahawks in the first round of the playoffs.

2012, Peyton Hillis, Brown running back: this year, Hillis has been plagued with strep throat, a hamstring injury and other undisclosed ‘sicknesses’ that have caused him to miss the majority of the year’s games. He has lost the support of his teammates, and the Browns’ front office is reportedly already looking to cut ties with him next year.

These are the facts. Call me crazy, but I see a definite pattern here. After a decade of observing the doomed fate of Madden cover athletes, I think it’s the nonbelievers that have something to prove.

Nick Fedyk is a sophomore in the School of Foreign Service. DOUBLE NICKTWIST appears every Tuesday.