MEN’S BASKETBALL | Domingo Skips Senior Year, Joins Hoyas for 2012-2013

In a decision that will have major repercussions on the upcoming basketball season, Stephen Domingo, the 17-year-old high school sharpshooter who committed to Head Coach John Thompson III in May, has decided to forgo his senior year and enroll immediately at Georgetown, according to numerous media outlets.

PremierBall.com reports that Domingo is already on campus, having arrived on a 5 p.m. flight out of Las Vegas Tuesday evening. Over the weekend, he helped lead the USA under-17 team to a win over Spain for the gold medal.

His early enrollment, which Domingo’s high school coach confirmed to sanfranpreps.com, means that the 6-foot-7 forward will join the 2012 class, filling Georgetown’s last scholarship slot. As we reported in May, Domingo has already drawn comparisons to Hollis Thompson, especially as a dynamo from beyond the arc.

Like Thompson, who also entered Georgetown after completing his junior year of high school and reclassifying into the senior class, PremierBall reports that Domingo has enough credits to graduate early and will skip his high school graduation ceremony. The site also reports that Domingo’s parents support his decision.

In addition to academic preparation, Domingo also seems to fit well into Thompson III’s Princeton offense. The forward agreed with that assessment when he was interviewed after his committment by ESPN.com.

“With my shooting ability, they put defenses in a position where I’ll get a shot or it’s easy to get a shot coming up or getting a back-door cut,” Domingo told ESPN.com. “They’ll make my shooting ability easy to play out of, and they have a great tradition with NBA guys.”

Domingo, who was ranked No. 28 in the Class of 2013 by ESPN, will join a recruiting class that includes 6-foot-3 shooting guard D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera, 6-foot-10 forward Brandon Bolden and 6-foot-11 center Bradley Hayes.

An earlier version of this article appeared on Hoya Paranoia on Wednesday, July 11.