MEN’S LACROSSE | GU Wins Fourth Straight

With senior midfielder Zack Angel out due to a persistent forearm injury, Head Coach Dave Urick needed someone to step up and lead Georgetown men’s lacrosse team at Providence on Saturday.

He found him in junior midfielder Brian Casey, who had two points and two assists that enabled the No. 18 Hoyas to squeeze past the Friars in their Big East opener.

After a tough loss to Maryland to begin the season, the Blue and Gray (4-1, 1-0 Big East) has surged to four straight victories, including an upset win over then-No. 20 Harvard.

Hitting the road for the first time, had three straight hat tricks — when senior midfielder Francis McDonough scored just 46 seconds after faceoff.

But the Friars answered right back, as senior midfielder Pete Wujciak (the brother of Georgetown sophomore midfielder John Wujciak) found the back of the net a minute and a half later.

The Hoyas swiftly responded, however, as goals from freshman midfielder Joe Bucci and junior attack Jason McFadden gave Georgetown a 3-1 lead after the first quarter.

Casey’s first goal came less than a minute into the second quarter. The unassisted shot put the Hoyas up, 4-1.

The Blue and Gray’s offense stalled for the remainder of the half, however, as a goal from junior attack JT Weber and two from freshman attack Niall Cahill pulled Providence even at the break.

Both teams’ offenses struggled after the intermission, setting up a slow third quarter of play. An early goal from Georgetown junior midfielder Dan McKinney was later matched by Weber’s second goal, which evened the score at 5.

Urick’s decision to switch goalies helped the Hoyas’ defense stifle the Friars’ attack. Sophomore Jake Haley, who took over for starter senior CT Fisher, recorded three saves and allowed only one goal in the quarter.

Freshman attack Reilly O’Connor snapped Georgetown’s 14:46 scoring drought on Casey’s second assist of the game.

Casey came up big just 36 seconds later, putting his second goal past Providence senior keeper Christian Dzwilewski. Providence sophomore attack Sean Wright tacked on another goal with 6:02 left in the game, but solid Georgetown defense kept the Friars off the board for the remainder of the game, sealing the 7-6 win.

Although the offense did struggle to finish plays with goals, it notched 38 shots compared to Providence’s 21.

Sophomore midfielder Chris May scooped up eight of Georgetown’s 34 ground balls and won 12 of 17 faceoffs. Haley’s four saves coupled with a strong defensive effort allowed Haley to earn his first college win in net.

The Blue and Gray take the field again tomorrow, when they face No. 5 Loyola in Baltimore. Faceoff is at 7 p.m. at Ridley Athletic Complex.