Norfolk State Lead Too Big For GU Comeback

You can’t wear a rally cap every game.

Although three out of four Hoya victories have been results of inspired comebacks, Georgetown was unable to replicate its early season formula this time around. Despite some late-inning thunder, the Blue and Gray ultimately did not have enough lightning in their bats to storm back from a five-run hole, falling to local rival Norfolk State by a score of 7-4 on Tuesday.

The Spartans wasted no time getting on the board, capitalizing on a Georgetown fielding error in the first inning to jump out to an early 2-0 lead. Over the next few innings the Hoyas were able to claw back, scoring one run in the second and tacking on another in the fourth to knot the score at two. The deadlock was short-lived, however, as the Spartan bats torched the Hoyas with a pair of two-run doubles in the bottom of the inning, opening up a 6-2 lead.

After Norfolk State tacked on yet another run in the bottom of the seventh, the game seemed to be out of reach for the Hoyas. Over the first seven innings the Georgetown offense struggled mightily, compiling only five hits and leaving six stranded on the base-paths. The eighth inning proved to be a different story, as the Hoya offense emerged from its state of dormancy.

Following a one-out walk by junior catcher Erick Fernandez, junior third baseman Sean Lamont got the ball rolling with a triple to centerfield, scoring Lamont and cutting the Spartan lead to four runs. The Hoyas were then granted a serendipitous break, as junior Dan Godefroi reached on an error, driving in Lamont to narrow the lead to 7-4. Once again, it seemed as if all of the cards were in place for yet another Georgetown comeback.

Unfortunately for the Hoya faithful, the Blue and Gray were unable to completely break open the inning. After loading the bases with a two-out walk to bring the winning run to the plate, Georgetown was unable to plate another run.

With the loss, the Hoyas dropped to 4-3 on the year.

In a game where the Hoyas failed to shine offensively, Lamont was perhaps the lone star in the dugout. The third baseman had a career day, as he went 3-for-5 with an RBI and fell only a home run short of the cycle.

Freshman reliever Thomas Polus took the loss, giving up four runs on five hits in just a third of an inning.

As spring break approaches, Head Coach Pete Wilk is utilizing the time off from school to help prepare his club for what should prove to be a grueling Big East schedule. Tomorrow the Hoyas will begin a stretch of eight games in nine days, facing off against the University of Pennsylvania to kick off the Rollins College Baseball Classic. The tournament atmosphere should provide the Blue and Gray with a unique opportunity to hone their fundamentals and develop an even furthered sense of team chemistry, as the squad will remain together throughout the entire week in Winter Park, Fla. In addition to Pennsylvania, the Hoyas will also match up against both Maine University and host Rollins College.