Pujols and Fielder Battle As Top Free Agent Prize

In a free-agent market filled with potential impact players, first basemen Albert Pujols and Prince Fielder are the two most coveted. The pair share several traits, most notably as two power bats that can hit at the heart of any team’s order for years to come. They have been consistent performers ever since reaching the majors, eclipsing the 30 -home run plateau in virtually every season.

On the other hand, Pujols and Fielder also differ in many more subtle ways that could cause teams to prefer one to the other. Although Pujols has been arguably the best player in the game over the last decade, teams do not necessarily value him over Fielder. Each comes with his own set of pros and cons, and in due time we will see who will sign the bigger contract.

The Case for Pujols

The reasons to pursue Pujols are seemingly endless. In his 11-year career, Pujols has been an all-star nine times, won three MVPs, six Silver Sluggers, two Gold Gloves and, most importantly, two World Series championships.

Among active players, he has the best career batting average (.328), slugging percentage (.617) and OPS (1.037). Simply put, he is the best hitter in the game and has certainly earned the distinction as ESPN’s player of the decade for the 2000s.

Several cons, however, present themselves: his age and price tag. At 31, Pujols has more or less passed his prime, and although he still hit 37 home runs this year, he failed to drive in more than 100 runs — earning 99 RBIs for the first time in his career — and hit .299. This marked the first year he hit less than .300.

Despite the down year, Pujols has already reportedly received a nine-year offer north of $200 million from the Cardinals. Most teams willing to spend that kind of cash already have first basemen entrenched — the Red Sox have Adrian Gonzalez, the Yankees have Mark Teixeira and the Phillies have Ryan Howard. Likewise, if Pujols were to leave his “hometown” Cardinals, he would likely have to receive an offer substantially higher than St. Louis’s current offer.

The Case for Fielder

In his brief career, Fielder has averaged nearly 40 home runs per year while also developing into a complete hitter who can hit for average, batting a robust .299 in 2011 as well as walking over 100 times.

Unlike Pujols, Fielder has also demonstrated major slugging power, clubbing 50 bombs in 2007 — a feat Pujols has never accomplished. His age (27) also suggests that the best has yet to come for Fielder, and agent Scott Boras has marketed him as the only young power bat that will be available in free agency until the Marlins’ Mike Stanton reaches it in four years (if he doesn’t sign an extension before then, of course).

Even though a case could be made for Fielder to receive an offer similar to Pujols’, the expectation is that Fielder will cost less in money and years.

But the reasons for a potentially weaker offer correspond to the long-term projection of Fielder’s position. Despite his desire to remain a first baseman, it is assumed that Fielder will have to serve primarily as a designated hitter as he ages. At 5-foot-11 and nearly 300 pounds, it’s hard to imagine that Fielder will remain athletic and mobile enough to perform an adequate job on the diamond. Pujols, on the other hand, remains a quality fielder who has also clocked hours at third base as well as in left and right field.

There will be no shortage of suitors for Pujols’ and Fielder’s services, but teams may prefer one to the other based primarily on consistency, longevity and price. For a smaller market club looking to make a splash, Fielder may be the more reasonable target, but Pujols remains the crown jewel of the free agent class.

Preston Barclay is a sophomore in the McDonough School of Business. TURNING TWO IN THE 202 appears every Tuesday.