SOFTBALL | After Win, Georgetown Drops Three

COURTESY GEORGETOWN SPORTS INFORMATION Junior first baseman Cara Savarese struggled at the plate yesterday, going 0-3 in Georgetown’s 8-4 loss.
COURTESY GEORGETOWN SPORTS INFORMATION
Junior first baseman Cara Savarese struggled at the plate yesterday, going 0-3 in Georgetown’s 8-4 loss.

It looked like Georgetown (6-23) may finally have garnered some momentum when they beat Drexel (7-10) on Tuesday, but the Hoyas went on to lose their next three games later in the week.

All three aspects of the game — pitching, hitting and fielding — went well for the Hoyas in their first game of a doubleheader on Tuesday. Senior left-handed pitcher Melissa Conners allowed five hits and two runs in a complete-game effort that earned her her first win of the season.

“I think Melissa is giving us solid innings,” Head Coach Pat Conlan said. “She has thrown some good games for us this season, and her pitching efforts will be key as we begin Big East play.”

Junior right-handed pitcher and third baseman Mackensey Carter continued her strong season at the plate by driving in the game’s first run, but Drexel came back to tie the game at one in the top of the second. Carter was at the heart of the Hoyas’ response, though, driving in freshman outfielder Elyse Graziano, who had walked and stolen second. The Dragons tied it again in the third, but that was the last run they mustered against Conners.

Graziano sealed the deal in the seventh when she robbed Drexel senior outfielder Laura Stagliano of a potentially game-tying two-run homer.

“Elyse has made many great catches this year, but this was the biggest,” Conlan said. “It was a game-saving catch.”

The nightcap did not go as well for the Blue and Gray, though, as Drexel junior catcher and infielder Paige Collins hit two homers in a 4-2 Dragons win. Senior catcher Jillian Webb was the lone bright spot for the Georgetown offense, driving in both runs.

The next day the Hoyas played host to the Utah Utes. The visitors scored in the first inning following a triple and a sacrifice fly, putting the Blue and Gray in a hole they could not climb out of.

“It is so important to jump out to an early lead,” Conlan said. “It sets the tone for the game and allows for you to control the pace of the game.”

Carter kept Utah scoreless for the next two frames but buckled in the fourth when the Utah offense scored twice more. The Georgetown offense was limited to a single sixth-inning run as the Hoyas dropped their 22nd game of the year by a 4-1 final score.

Yesterday the Blue and Gray travelled to Charlottesville for an afternoon contest against Virginia. Despite freshman infielder Jenna Stark’s first career homer — a three-run shot in the fifth inning — the Hoyas stumbled to an 8-4 defeat. The Cavaliers scored at least once in each inning, with the killer blow coming in the form of a three-run bottom of the sixth, Conner pitched all six innings for Georgetown, allowing seven earned runs on 12 hits.

The Hoyas begin Big East play this weekend against Connecticut. The series starts with a doubleheader tomorrow; first pitch of the earlier game is set for noon at Guy Mason Field.