SOFTBALL | With First Recruits Gone, Young GU Preps for ’11

987014670After a disappointing 2010 campaign, the Georgetown softball team looks to start its 2011 season on a high note today at the Florida Gulf Coast University tournament in Fort Myers, Fla. The Hoyas will have to make up for the loss of the Class of 2010, their first recruiting — and graduating — class.

The Hoyas face the challenge of replacing three-quarters of their starting line-up from last season. The losses, though difficult for the team, will now allow new players to prove themselves.

“With the graduation of the first recruiting class we mostly lose experience,” Head Coach Pat Conlan said. “We have a number of sophomores that will see significantly more playing time than they did a year ago and freshmen who are playing their first collegiate game.”

The freshman class brings eight new players to the Hilltop, many of whom will see playing time this weekend and throughout the season.

“I am very excited [about] our freshman class,” Conlan said. “We have many [freshmen] who have worked their way into the starting lineup. They have great attitudes, work ethic, athleticism and [they] love to play. That’s a winning combination in my book.”

One player the Hoyas are happy to have returning is junior Mackensey Carter, who earned conference honors in her first two seasons on the team and will play first base, third base and pitcher this season. Last season she led the team with a 2.75 earned run average and 165.1 innings pitched while holding opposing batters to a .254 average.

“Mackensey is a coach’s dream,” Conlan said. “She does it all and does it all well.”

Carter has high expectations for herself this season.

“My goal is to be exactly what my team needs me to be on the mound, up to bat and in the field,” Carter said. “I just want to be consistent and push myself to be a better player and leader every day.”

The Hoyas will play five games this weekend. They face South Carolina and Florida Gulf Coast University on Friday, Saint Louis and Michigan State on Saturday and Saint Louis again on Sunday.

Sophomore Shikara Lowe will start the season behind the plate, while senior Kristi Preuss and junior Cara Savarese make up the right side of the infield. Freshman Alexandria Anttila will start the season at shortstop, while sophomore Jordan Hansen will split time with pitcher-corner infielder Carter at third base. Joining Carter in the circle will be three freshmen and senior left-handed pitcher Melissa Conners, who went 2-2 last season.

In the outfield, returning sophomore Danielle Cyr and junior Regan Page will play the corners. Freshmen Taylor Koenig and Elyse Graziano and sophomores Callie Eward and Kelly Cianciotta will also see time.

In its third season in the Big East, Georgetown is aware of the rigor of its schedule and is more prepared than ever before to play with the best.

“This team has worked harder than any other I have coached on the Hilltop,” Conlan said. “If we play hard, have good pitching efforts and play clean defensively, we will be in every game and have an opportunity to win it. Consistency will be the key to our success.”

Georgetown opens its season today at 3:45 p.m. against South Carolina.