TENNIS | Tehrani Goes Undefeated at Georgetown Classic

SARI FRANKEL FOR THE HOYA Andrew Bruhn starred for the men’s tennis team at the Georgetown Classic, reaching the final of the singles draw before falling, 7-5, 7-5, to Maryland’s David Nguyen.
SARI FRANKEL FOR THE HOYA
Andrew Bruhn starred for the men’s tennis team at the Georgetown Classic, reaching the final of the singles draw before falling, 7-5, 7-5, to Maryland’s David Nguyen.

In this weekend’s Georgetown Classic tennis tournament, the Georgetown men’s and women’s tennis teams brought their game to the Hilltop, with impressive results for both teams. Despite the rain-abbreviated schedule, the Hoyas still managed to take away some silverware this weekend.

In the women’s competition, the Blue and Gray overwhelmed their opposition, winning the singles and doubles titles. The Georgetown men had a tougher time, but the Hoyas still held their own.

The biggest story of the weekend was sophomore Tina Tehrani, who won her second straight tournament after her flight victory at the UNC-Wilmington Invitational two weekends ago. Tehrani downed all her singles opposition by impressive margins on her way to an eventual 6-4 championship win over University of Maryland-Baltimore County sophomore Kim Berghaus.

In doubles, Tehrani and freshman Sophie Panarese made short work of their opponents. They had only one close match, which they won in a tiebreaker against UMBC graduate student Shalini Sahoo and sophomore Josefin Stange-Jonsson.

The rest of the women’s squad didn’t disappoint either. In addition to her doubles with Tehrani, Panarese showed considerable promise in singles play before being eliminated by Tehrani in the third round. Junior Alex Landers faced two tough games before falling to UMBC’s Sahoo in the second round. Not content to eliminate just one Hoya, Sahoo then went on to defeat Georgetown sophomore Maddie Jaeger in the next round.

Junior Michelle Pratt made it through the first round, but eventually lost to Longwood junior Marta Pinyol in the second round. Senior captain Lauren Greco won her first round match before falling to freshman Kim Berghaus, who then defeated junior Vicky Sekely, 6-2, 6-0, in the next round. Berghaus then fell to Tehrani in the championship. Despite the lopsided margin of defeat for Sekely, Head Coach Gordie Ernst singled the junior out for praise after the tournament.

“[Sekely] couldn’t serve. In the old days, she might’ve said ‘I don’t know if I can play,'” Ernst said, “Now, she’s like ‘I’m going to go out here and try to underhand serve and try to win … That was, for me, up there with Tina [Tehrani] winning the tournament.”

As for the doubles competition, two of the four Hoya pairings —Tehrani and Panarese and Greco and Landers — made it through to the second round. That was as far as Greco and Landers would make it, but Tehrani and Panarese continued on, eventually capturing the doubles title.

“Compared to last year, they’ve learned to compete whether they’re playing well or not,” Ernst said.

For the men, the Georgetown Classic was the first chance to get on the court in a competitive environment, and they played well despite not bringing home any hardware.

“I’m [content] with the way they [the men’s team] did in terms of their first tournament, how hard they competed and how well they did,” Ernst said.

Of the seven Hoyas to enter singles play, senior captains Raf Notario and Andrew Bruhn as well as freshmen Alex Tropiano and Shane Korber emerged victorious in the first round.

“Shane [Korber], 18 and in his first tournament as a Hoya, is down [early on],” Ernst said, “But he comes back and beats that guy. That’s not normal, that’s outperforming, that’s overachieving for your first week as a freshman.”

Bruhn and Korber both made it to the semifinals before playing each other, and Bruhn advanced to the finals with a hard-fought 6-3, 3-6, 10-4 victory.

Bruhn was matched up with Maryland junior David Nguyen in the finals and didn’t make it easy for the Terrapin, losing a close match, 7-5, 7-5.

“Andrew Bruhn played the best tennis I’ve ever seen him play,” Ernst said, “He really should’ve won the tournament, but [Nguyen] simply outplayed him. Andrew Bruhn was within one or two points of him.”

All four men’s doubles pairings won their first matches, but only the pairing of sophomore Casey Distaso and senior Brian Ward made it farther than that. Distaso and Ward fought hard in the next round, the semifinals, but ultimately fell, 8-5, to Maryland senior Mathias Sarrazin and junior Tommy Laine.

“[Losing] is bad … [but] we need that experience for our schedule,” Ernst said.

The men head to Providence, R.I., for the Margaux Powers Memorial Tournament next weekend, while the women are off until Oct. 7.