WOMEN’S BASKETBALL | Coach Pledges, Lady Hoyas Follow Through

For No. 16 Georgetown (20-5, 8-3 Big East), a 67-38 domination of South Florida (10-14, 1-9 Big East) meant that the Hoyas had assumed sole possession of fourth place in the treacherous Big East. For Head Coach Terri Williams-Flournoy, the Blue and Gray’s performance meant that she would be leaving McDonough Arena with significantly lighter pockets.

On a night in which the Hoyas’ head coach pledged $50 to the Kay Yow Breast Cancer Foundation for ever three-pointer converted by her team, Georgetown came within one trey of setting a school record with 12-of-23 shooting from behind the arc. Sophomore guard Sugar Rodgers led the way with 7-of-11 three-point shooting, including four made attempts in the opening five minutes.

“I didn’t even know about the $50 until I hit the last three, and then [the scoreboard] said $600,” Rodgers said. “[I heard] that Coach was going to have to pay, so I was like, I’m going to hit another three.”

After a disappointing performance in Saturday’s victory over Cincinnati, Rodgers exploded for a game-high 25 points on Tuesday and recorded six steals and five rebounds. The Big East’s second-leading scorer propelled the Hoyas to an 8-0 lead with a pair of treys in the opening two minutes and poured in 17 points before the break.

“I’m probably more impressed with her defensive effort than offensive effort,” Williams-Flournoy said. “The offensive effort — that’s what she does. That comes extremely easy for her. Defensively is where sometimes she has a tendency to lay back … so I’m really, really impressed with her defensive effort.”

Georgetown used a stifling half-court press to disrupt South Florida’s offense, forcing 22 turnovers and creating 14 steals. The Bulls were limited to just a single point in the final 8:05 of the game and 12 points in the entire second half.

The Hoyas held their opponents to just 38 total points for a second straight game by forcing the Bulls into low-percentage, long-range attempts. As a result, the visitors were an anemic 0-for-18 from downtown, shooting just 12.5 percent in the second half and 23.7 percent for the game.

“They’re a penetrating team, so just give them the three. If they hit it, then you can adjust,” Rodgers said.

The lone sore point on the stat sheet for the Hoyas was their rebounding column: The visitors won the battle of the boards, 51-31, including a 27-11 advantage on the offensive glass. However, this disparity was due in large part to the fact that South Florida missed a whopping 45 shots on the evening.

“They missed a lot of shots, so of course there were a lot of offensive rebounds to be gotten. But that’s always something we’ve got to work on,” Williams-Flournoy said. “But other than that, I thought our overall effort was very good.”

The Hoyas pushed the pace throughout the game, quickly turning steals and rebounds into transition offense in order to find open looks under the hoop. The Blue and Gray finished with an 18-6 advantage in fast break points and scored 18 points off turnovers. Junior guard Rubylee Wright was essential in orchestrating the attack, controlling the tempo of play and consistently finding teammates for open looks.

“We’re a running team,” Wright said. “That’s always a part of the game plan, and I think everybody ran the floor extremely well tonight, so it opened up a lot.”

The smallest player on the court, Wright improved upon her strong outing against Cincinnati by dishing out eight assists while only committing one turnover. In addition to Rodgers, those who benefited from Wright’s benevolence included senior guard Monica McNutt and junior forward Tia Magee, who finished with nine and seven points, respectively.

“I think Ruby’s really developing into a very good point guard for us, and she’s really understanding her role,” Williams-Flournoy said. “There was a lot of times when she could have taken the shot, you know, but she continued to hunt the paint and find other people.”

Heading into a tougher portion of the schedule, with visits to St. John’s and No. 10 DePaul looming, Georgetown has learned that no matter the performance of its superstar, the roster is full of teammates in supporting roles capable of contributing to the winning effort.

“We played hard, so I think everybody is happy. This is what’s going to keep us going,” Wright said. “It’s going to motivate us to just keep playing hard all the time. … Everybody is ready.”

The Hoyas now travel to New York to take on the Red Storm at 2:30 p.m. on Sunday afternoon.