WOMEN’S BASKETBALL | No. 10 Huskies Crush Hapless Hoyas

The University of Connecticut (20-5, 14-1 Big East) flexed its muscles on Georgetown (7-18, 2-15 Big East), dominating all facets of the game and winning 90-49. The Huskies’ aggressive defense suffocated the Hoyas’ offense and created plentiful fast break opportunities. 

Out of the gates, Georgetown came out hot, going up 4-3 on Connecticut. However, it was all downhill after this for the Hoyas in the first quarter. 

The first quarter was filled with sloppy play on both sides. The Georgetown defense, which forces the third most turnovers in the Big East per game, caused UConn to have 5 turnovers in the first six minutes of the first quarter. 

The Hoyas were also bitten by the turnover bug. They repeatedly gave the ball up and the Huskies were able to capitalize. This fueled a 12-0 UConn run, which was capped off by a steal then a fast break and an and-one layup at the other end of the court by senior guard Evina Westbrook. At this point, UConn led Georgetown 15-4. 

Georgetown’s sophomore guard Kelsey Ransom stopped this run by slashing to the paint, then masterfully kicking the ball out into the corner to graduate guard Milan Bolden-Morris, who sunk the shot. Ransom was the lone bright spot in the first quarter for the Hoyas, scoring 6 of their 9 points. 

In the second quarter, Georgetown tried their best to make big shots to swing momentum back in their favor, but UConn had the perfect response every time. For example, after another heads-up Ransom drive and kick to Bolden-Morris in the corner for the made 3-pointer, Connecticut came back immediately with a bucket. 

The Hoyas’ defensive strategy seemed to dare Huskies to shoot the 3. This was somewhat successful, as Connecticut was unable to convert on many wide-open opportunities from the field in the first half. 

UConn’s strategy on defense was to constantly pressure Hoya ball handlers, which successfully forced Georgetown turnover after turnover. Possession after possession, Connecticut came up with steals on defense, which they turned into fast breaks and easy layups. The Hoyas appeared to be out of gas and often did not even get back on defense to contest these layups. 

Seeing this lethargy, Georgetown Head Coach James Howard was forced to call a timeout after UConn’s lead grew to 24 points. Eventually, a layup from senior forward Jillian Archer was able to stop the Huskies’ 17-0 run and snap the Hoyas’ almost 5-minute scoring drought.

At the end of the half, Connecticut led 45-19. The Huskies had forced 19 Georgetown turnovers, 16 of which were steals. In the half, UConn generated 18 points off Hoya turnovers, while Georgetown shot just 28% from the field.  

To open the second half, Georgetown looked to retake momentum through more careful ball handling and high-quality shot attempts. A slick pass by Ransom in the paint led to a tough and-one bucket for first-year center Ariel Jenkins. However, just like in the first half, whenever there was a glimmer of hope for the Hoyas, the Huskies emphatically responded. UConn immediately charged down the court and attacked Ransom inside, drawing a foul and converting on the free throws. 

Anna Yuan/The Hoya | Georgetown could not get it going versus the UConn Huskies, losing 90-49.

UConn’s second half game plan consisted of pounding the interior, which resulted in a plethora of good looks near the hoop. They were able to capitalize on these opportunities by way of layups or drawing Georgetown fouls. This offense terrorized the Georgetown defense and the Huskies led by as much as 38 in the third quarter. 

Georgetown’s graduate guard Mary Clougherty responded with 3-pointers on back-to-back possessions for the Hoyas to stop the flood, but at the end of the quarter, Connecticut led 70-35. 

Clougherty continued her dominance from behind the arc in the fourth quarter. She hit two more 3-pointers, finishing with 5 in the game and 15 total points off the bench. Georgetown played competitive basketball in the fourth quarter, regardless of the score. They limited the offensive mistakes that plagued them in the first half and were impressive defensively. Alas, UConn’s lead was insurmountable, and the game ended 90-49 in favor of the Huskies. 

Georgetown looked to snap its seven-game losing streak against Villanova (19-7, 13-4 Big East) Feb. 22 but fell 61-73 in a hard-fought contest. The Hoyas will next travel to Ohio to face Xavier (9-17, 4-13 Big East) on Feb. 25.