WOMEN’S BASKETBALL | Team Effort Lifts GU in Opener

ty

With 31 seconds remaining in the second half, the Georgetown women’s basketball team was clinging on to a dwindling lead. Richmond had cut the Blue and Gray’s 21-point advantage down to three, and the Spiders seemed poised to complete the improbable comeback. But the senior and co-captain Andrea White hit four consecutive free throws in the final 30 seconds to seal the Georgetown victory.

Although the Hoyas were hampered by foul trouble and turnovers, in the end, Georgetown was able to eke out the 82-78 win over Richmond.

“Our team really found a way to win,” Head Coach Jim Lewis said. “We told them that you can have a scouting report, but you have to roll with how a game unfolds. I’m proud that they were able to show what we are capable of doing. … It was a team effort.”

This was the first win for Lewis at Georgetown, who began his tenure on the Hilltop just two weeks ago. Additionally, five of the eight Hoyas who received playing time were making their first collegiate appearance.

“I thought we played well for the first game, especially since we have a new coach and a lot of new players,” senior co-captain and guard Samisha Powell said. “For our first game, having to learn a lot of new stuff, having to adjust to a new coach and having the coach adjust to us, I feel like we did a pretty decent job.”

In the final minutes, the Blue and Gray were without Powell and sophomore guard Katie McCormick, who had fouled out earlier in the game. But the inexperienced freshmen and White were able to do just enough to hold off the Spiders.

“The foul issue taught us a lesson,” Lewis said. “The officiating was calling good fouls that we were committing … but when one person [gets in foul trouble], another has to step up. Our young people really showed that they are ready for this level, but I was really proud of all of them.”

Led by McCormick’s three-point shooting and Powell’s baskets in transition, Georgetown opened the second half on a 20-6 run. With just over 10 minutes remaining in the game, freshman forward Shayla Cooper found Powell on a backdoor cut for a layup that put the Hoyas up by 21 — their biggest lead of the contest.

But the Spiders responded with a run of their own. Richmond was able to take advantage of the Blue and Gray’s costly mistakes and closed Georgetown’s lead to just two points.

“Their aggressiveness really controlled the tempo,” Lewis said. “They were basically putting their heads down, driving and getting calls or making layups. Then their press slowed us down a little bit, and then we made some ill-advised decisions.”

On the cusp of a monstrous collapse, White took over. She was able to win crucial rebounds and drain free throws, enabling the Hoyas to come away with the win.

“[White] is a veteran,” Powell said. “She has been in these types of situations since she was a freshman. She knows down the stretch, even when she is hurting, we need her. With her knowing that we needed her, she just sucked it up.”

The freshmen had an immediate impact in their debuts. All five received significant playing time, led by freshman center Natalie Butler, who played the entirety of the game.

“[The freshmen] performed really well. I don’t want to bunch them together as five freshmen; each of them contributed in a lot of different ways at different points in the game,” Lewis said. “They are going to continue to grow and learn.”

Cooper led the Hoyas with 17 points, while Butler posted a double-double in her first career game. She collected a team-high 13 rebounds while also scoring 13 points. Freshman guard Jade Martin chipped in 12 points on 6-of-9 shooting.

“I thought the freshmen played well, especially since two starters fouled out of the game,” Powell said. “I felt they kept their composure and didn’t panic. They were able to keep the game steady. I feel like they handled it really well.”

In the victory, the Blue and Gray had five players in double figures for the first time since 2009. In addition to the three freshmen who were in double figures, Powell added 15 points and McCormick contributed 11.

Despite the win, Lewis believes the team has areas in which it can get better.

“We won’t foul as much next time,” Lewis said. “We won’t give up as many offensive rebounds next time. We won’t turn the ball over as much next time. Those are really the three huge areas, but we’re going to get better next week.”

Georgetown will look to improve in these areas in its next game against South Dakota State. The Hoyas will take on the Jackrabbits on Friday in Brookings, S.D. Tipoff is slated for 8 p.m.