WOMEN’S SOCCER | Corboz Sets Two Records in Win

FILE PHOTO: CHRIS GRIVAS/THE HOYA Sophomore Daphne Corboz had five goals and one assist Sunday.
FILE PHOTO: CHRIS GRIVAS/THE HOYA
Sophomore Daphne Corboz had five goals and one assist Sunday.

The Georgetown women’s soccer team (11-1-1, 5-0) won its fifth straight game Sunday, defeating Pittsburgh (5-9-1, 0-5-1), 8-0, courtesy of a record-breaking performance by sophomore midfielder Daphne Corboz.

The Hoyas weren’t even at full strength, either, playing the game with a shuffled lineup.

“We had to replace a couple of players as a precautionary measure because of injuries, including both our center backs,” Head Coach Dave Nolan said. “It made it a little bit more difficult for us because we had to pull players from different positions and change our personnel.”

But the new-look squad didn’t miss a beat, as the Blue and Gray had 16 shots compared to just two by Pittsburgh and took six corner kicks to the Panthers’ one. Although it had performed well so far this season, Nolan believed that Pittsburgh might have been exhausted from its Friday game.

“It wasn’t like they were a walkover team. We played really well on the day. We had the benefit that [Pittsburgh] had played a game on Friday night and we hadn’t. I think that was crucial, because we were definitely fresher,” Nolan said.

Corboz, who racked up five goals and one assist in the win, set a new Georgetown record for goals in a conference game as well as the Big East record for points in a game. Her performance was complemented by two goals and two assists by junior forward Kaitlin Brenn.

Brenn and Corboz have developed a rapport in the midfield that has often left their coach shaking his head in disbelief.

“I think they’re telepathic. I call them the dynamic duo,” Nolan said. “They see the game the same way. They both come from the same club a year apart, so they’ve known each other [and] they’ve played with each other during the summer. They’ve just really clicked.”

With injuries to some key contributors, several less experienced players were also called upon to step up.

“We needed maybe 5 percent extra from the players who don’t normally get the accolades, like [defenders] Christina O’Tousa, Claire Magliola, and Mary Kroening. It was defensively where we were missing pieces of the puzzle,” Nolan said. “Those players stepped up and provided the platform for our attacking players to then go on and do their thing.”

More important than setting records and keeping the win streak alive, however, was notching another road win, which is difficult in Big East, among the toughest leagues in the country.

“It was definitely a great team effort, because I think the kids knew that whenever you get a win on the road in the Big East, it’s a big deal,” he said.

Georgetown’s last loss was more than three weeks ago — on Sept. 9 — and the team is hoping to keep its current streak alive into October. Nolan plans to do whatever he can to keep his team on a roll while stopping the Hoyas from becoming complacent.

“One of the jobs of a coach has always been to keep the team on an even keel,” Nolan said. “They are a pretty focused group. They take it one game at a time.”

The Hoyas take the field again next weekend, visiting Cincinnati on Friday and Louisville on Sunday.