WOMEN’S TENNIS | DePaul in Town For Lady Hoyas’ First Home Match

After emerging victorious in its second Big East conference match last Saturday, the Georgetown women’s tennis team (1-1 Big East) will play host to the DePaul Blue Demons today at the Army Navy Country Club in Arlington, Va.

The Blue and Gray are coming off of an impressive 7-0 road victory over Lehigh, a win in which no DePaul player won more than three games in a single set.

One of the biggest stories coming out of the Lehigh game was the strong performances of untested freshmen Maddie Jaeger and Tina Tehrani. The two young Hoyas stepped up against the Mountain Hawks as neither lost a single game to their respective opponents.

“They have a couple matches now under their belt,” Head Coach Gordie Ernst said. “[Friday] is going to be interesting.”

As always, one of the Lady Hoyas’ biggest strengths is graduate student and captain Stephanie Wetmore, who has yet to lose a match this spring.

But the Blue Demons will be more of a challenge than the Mountain Hawks were last weekend. Coming off of a recent conference win against Louisville, DePaul is looking to make its mark on the Big East. Led by all-conference players senior Katarina Milinkovic and junior Gia McKnight, DePaul is a force to be reckoned with in the conference. The Blue Demons have already faced off against three nationally ranked teams in the past two weeks and have managed to hold their own against each of them.

If the Blue and Gray can defeat DePaul, they could build some important momentum as they gear up for the rest of conference play. Earning a victory over DePaul would prove to the rest of the Big East that the Hoyas are a real threat to the perennial conference powerhouses and that they have the ability to take on nationally ranked teams.

Tonight’s match is scheduled to begin at 6 p.m.