WOMEN’S TENNIS | Hoyas Breeze By Lancers in Shutout

3028154727The Georgetown women’s tennis team (7-8, 3-2 Big East) continued to build momentum with a 7-0 shutout of Longwood (3-5) on Friday afternoon at the McDonough Outdoor Tennis Complex. It was the fourth consecutive win for the Blue and Gray, who appear to be snapping out of the early-March funk that saw them lose four matches in a row.

In singles play, nearly every Hoya defeated her opponent by a comfortable margin. Graduate student and captain Stephanie Wetmore easily handled senior and Lancer captain Zsofia Jakab, winning both sets 6-1. Junior Lauren Greco also had no trouble dispatching her opponent, sophomore Marta Pinyol, in a 6-3, 6-3 win. Freshman Vicky Sekely dropped no games in her first set before losing only three in the second. Sophomore Alex Landers likewise only lost three games in two sets, and Tina Tehrani had the shortest afternoon of all – the freshman won her first set 6-0 before her opponent retired due to injury.

The only Hoya who lost a set was freshman Maddie Jaeger. Jaeger faced off against a tough opponent in freshman and former three-star recruit Sarah Moomau. The Lancer defeated Jaeger 6-4 in the first set, but Jaeger rallied to win the second set 6-3 and squeaked out a 10-8 win in the third-set tiebreaker.

In doubles play, the Hoyas fell short of a complete sweep of the Lancers, but were still able to grab the doubles point. The first doubles pairing of Wetmore and Tehrani handled Longwood’s Pinyol and Jakab, 8-4 while the No. 2 team of Sekely and Greco defeated Law and Shulman 8-3, to assure the Blue and Gray of the doubles point.

Landers and senior Alex Sebia lost the only match of the day for the Hoyas at third doubles, as freshman Nicole Parker and sophomore Hannah Hill saved the Lancers from losing every match on the day with an 8-3 victory over the Blue and Gray pair.

Georgetown will look to continue its winning streak on Friday, as the Hoyas return to conference play to face off against the Seton Hall Pirates. The match is scheduled to start at 2 p.m. at McDonough Outdoor Tennis Complex.