SOFTBALL | Hoyas Drop Dragons in Philly

The Georgetown softball team (10-15) bounced back from a disappointing eight-game losing streak to reach double-digits in wins Wednesday by shutting out Drexel (6-10), 3-0, in Philadelphia.

Freshman pitcher Megan Hyson led the Hoyas with seven shutout innings, striking out five and allowing just four hits. She also contributed to her own stat line by getting a hit and scoring one of theHoyas’ runs.

Hyson’s success on offense came after Head Coach Pat Conlan rearranged the batting order to put her at the top of the lineup.

“Megan is an excellent ball player,” Conlan said. “We moved her into the leadoff position in the batting order because she is doing a great job of getting on base.”

After two uneventful innings, Hyson got it started for the Hoyas in the third by advancing to third on a ground out after a one-out double to left center. She then scored on a wild pitch with junior catcher Shikara Lowe at the plate.

The Hoyas built up their lead in the fourth inning, helped in part by sloppy fielding from the hosts. Senior first baseman Cara Savarese reached on an error to start the rally, and was sacrificed to second by senior Mackensey Carter. A single from sophomore infielder Madeleine Giaquinto advanced Savarese to third before sophomore second baseman Hannah Slovacek hit a single of her own to score the senior and put the Hoyas up, 2-0.

“We had timely hits, many walks and we laid down the bunt when we needed to move the runner over,” Hyson said. “We came ready to play today.”

Sloppy fielding hurt the Dragons again in the seventh inning, as the Blue and Gray scored again on another error.

“We took better care of the ball … and didn’t give Drexel opportunities to make something happen,”Conlan said.

Drexel senior infielder Caprice DeMirjian was able to get two hits off Hyson but the freshman shut down the rest of the hosts’ lineup, allowing only one runner past first base all game.

The Hoyas travel to Baltimore today for the UMBC Spring Classic. The Hoyas will begin against St. Francis (Pa.) at 11:25 a.m.