GU Cruises to Three Wins

The Georgetown sailing team competed in two events over the weekend, finishing third in the Navy Fall Coed Intersectional and sixth in the Yale Women’s Intersectional.

In Annapolis, the No. 4 Hoyas’ coed squad took third, compiling a score of 573, behind No. 1 St. Mary’s College of Maryland (455) and No. 8 College of Charleston (554) in the 20-team regatta. Of the 80 total races across all four divisions, the Blue and Gray won three and finished in the top five 34 other times.

The Hoyas were led in the A Division by senior Charlie Buckingham and teammates senior Ashley Phillips and freshman Teddy Mark, who finished fourth overall in the division with a score of 125.

In the B Division, Georgetown posted a ninth-place finish and score of 157 by senior Scott Furnary, junior Katherine Canty and freshman Sam Oldroyd.

Individually, sophomore Chris Barnard came in fifth – just two points short of fourth – in the C Division, with a score of 137, while sophomore Michael Schalka and freshman Matt Gowell combined on a seventh-place effort in the D Division with a score of 154, just four points behind sixth place and six points behind fifth.

The Hoyas’ depth and consistency led to an overall third-place finish, despite not finishing higher than fourth in any division. Aside from St. Mary’s and the College of Charleston, the Blue and Gray were joined by Brown and hosts Navy in the top five.

No. 2 Boston College, who has been at the top of the polls all year, struggled to an eighth-place finish, suffering from poor scores in the C and D Divisions after strong showings in the A and B divisions.

In the Yale Women’s Intersectional in New Haven, Conn., Georgetown was able to overcome gusty winds that postponed races for several hours to come in sixth in a field of 18.

The No. 10 Hoyas posted top-five finishes in half of the 16 races, emerging victorious in the fifth B Division contest.

In A Division races, Georgetown, led by senior Leah Volk and junior Sydney Bolger, bounced back nicely from a 17th-place finish in the first race to earn sixth place with a final score of 63.

Juniors Lauren Burke and Rebecca Evans. Overcome a wipeout in the first race with five top-five finishes in the last seven races, ending up with a score of 54 and fourth place in the B Division.

Overall, the women combined for a score of 117, trailing Yale (69), Brown (74), Boston College (93), St. Mary’s College (95), and Rhode Island (112) in the contest.

The Hoyas’ sailing team has next weekend off before heading to New York to compete in the Top 9 Regatta in Kings Point and the War Memorial Regatta in Geneva Oct. 30 to 31.