GUAFSCU Introduces Mobile App

The Georgetown University Alumni and Student Federal Credit Union launched an application for iPhone and Android devices as part of an effort to provide customers with easier access to banking services Monday.

Customers can now check balances, make transfers and look up ATM locations, GUASFCU hours and contact information from their phone. GUASFCU is working to add a feature allowing users to deposit checks from the app, according to CEO Nikhil Lakhanpal (MSB ’13).

“It’s basically a one-stop center for all your GUASFCU banking needs,” Lakhanpal said. “Because we only have one branch, we have to adopt a branchless model of banking, so what that means is making it really convenient for our members without the luxury of having a number of branches across the country,” Lakhanpal added. “This is the perfect way to do that.”

GUASFCU’s technology department began building the application in collaboration with multiple vendors at the beginning of the fall semester. Lakhanpal said that he is satisfied with the application so far.

“I’ve gotten emails, I’ve gotten texts saying it’s a very good application and people are impressed, so that makes me very happy,” he said.

The application is part of a series of improvements made by GUASFCU to increase banking access for its members. The credit union’s other main efforts include the addition of an ATM to the Walsh Building in January and an ATM planned to be added to Hoya Snaxa in March.

Students are generally satisfied with the mobile app.

“I do a lot of my banking online, so having it on my phone is much easier,” Kerry Ryan (COL ’13) said. “So I think [the mobile app] is definitely beneficial and will help GUASFCU.”