Trio of Weekend Regattas A Solid Showing for Hoyas

Georgetown University’s sailing team finished second at this weekend’s St. Mary’s Intersectional Regatta. St. Mary’s College played host to the event in St. Mary’s City, Md.

The Blue and Gray placed second in both A and B divisions, with seniors Charlie Buckingham and Ashley Phillips earning a score of 95 in Division A and sophomores Chris Barnard and Hilary Kenyon earning an 80 in the B Division, for a total score of 175.

The two-day event was won by the hosts, as St. Mary’s placed first in both Divisions with scores of 66 and 71 in A and B divisions, respectively, for a total low score of 137. Hobart & William Smith Colleges, St. Mary’s second unit, and Harvard, rounded out the top five.

In other sailing action, members of the team competed in Annapolis, Md, in two events that Navy played host to this

weekend.

Junior Michael Schalka placed second in the Laser South #2 Men’s Single-Handed Event, with a total score of 50, four behind the winner, Gavin Randolph, of Old Dominion University. Randolph’s teammate Collin Leon placed third, St. Mary’s freshman John Wallace finished fourth and Pennsylvania sophomore Michael Rumson rounded out the top five with Georgetown freshman Matthew Gowell coming in sixth.

In the weekend’s other event at Navy, the Faye Bennet MAISA Women’s Single-Handed Event, Georgetown junior Sydney Bolger and freshman Nancy Hagood finished seventh and ninth respectively, and sophomore Emily Gowell and 10th in a field of 18.

Arielle DeLisser of Hobart & William Smith Colleges placed first with a low score of 73, 12 points ahead of second place finisher, Navy’s Marissa Lihan.

The sailing team will compete in three separate competitions next weekend: the Danmark Trophy, to be held in New London, Conn., the Jesuit Cup in New York, N.Y., and the Senator’s Cup in St. Mary’s City, Md.