New Facebook Admissions Application Makes a Splash

For college applicants, the hours spent calculating the likelihood of getting into college may soon come to a close, as a new Facebook application will estimate the odds within minutes.

AdmissionSplash, created by Allen Gannett, a junior at The George Washington University, calculates the user’s likelihood of undergraduate admission to various universities based on queries about academics, interests and other factors.

“We give students a general idea of where they stand and find out what their chances are for getting into schools,” Gannett said.

To generate its results, the application requests a wide range of information from the applicant, including GPA and SAT scores as well as personal interests, Gannett said. Users can also provide their gender, high school and anticipated major before the results are calculated.

Gannett devised his formula using data from previously admitted college students. Testing his method against 75 students who were accepted to New York University, he found AdmissionSplash to be 90 percent accurate in predicting the admissions results of the group.

The application launched Feb. 8 and is part of a greater network called CampusSplash, created by Gannett on Jan. 19. The CampusSplash website provides articles and online resources for high school and college students that investigate campus life and the admissions process.

DormSplash, an individual network within CampusSplash that allows students to rate their dorms and read reviews, is officially launching on Tuesday. As an incentive for students to submit information about their college dorms, Gannett and his two co-workers are offering a cupcake party to the school that provides the most reviews.

Caitlin Koury (NHS ’13) and Pete D’Amato (MSB ’13), childhood friends of Gannett, have helped advertise his endeavors on Facebook and Twitter and have participated in his organizations. They said that he began his business endeavors at a young age — and for the most part, they have been successful.

“Allen’s been doing businesses since elementary school,” D’Amato said. “He started a website, a weekly newsletter online, in fourth grade.”

D’Amato and Khoury mentioned other projects Gannett has developed over the years, including a non-profit organization called Future Civic Leaders, which provides high school students with political internship opportunities and ways to solve civic issues within their communities.

“One thing you can take away is, in whatever Allen does, he uses his connections to his best advantage,” D’Amato said.

AdmissionSplash in particular has been a resounding success, according to D’Amato.

“It kind of blew up all of a sudden,” D’Amato said. “CNN has written an article; Huffington Post wrote about it; a local news network in Dallas picked it up.”

Gannett stated that he does not plan to stop at the undergraduate level.

“In a couple of months, we are launching GradSplash for MBA, law school, medical school, and Masters of Education,” Gannett said.

He also mentioned InternSplash, another program that he plans to develop further in the future.

“We try to keep up with him as fast as he moves,” Koury said. “He is the definition of a college entrepreneur.”