Wisconsin Student Arrested for Ricin

A student at the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh was charged with possession of ricin on Tuesday. Kyle Smith, 21, is now on interim suspension and is barred from campus, WSAW, a local news source in Wausau, Wis., reported. If convicted of possession of a biological toxin, Smith could serve up to 10 years in prison and face a fine of $250,000.

WLUK-TV, a Fox news station located in Green Bay, Wis. reports that two of Smith’s professors called the police after they grew suspicious that he was making ricin in his off-campus residence. His roommate told police that Smith had made the ricin with three castor plants he grew in his backyard.

Smith’s attorney told the court Monday that Smith is not a danger to the public.

Daniel Milzman, a former Georgetown student, was charged with possession of a biological toxin last March, after he made ricin in his shared McCarthy Hall dorm room with materials from a Maryland plant store. Milzman was placed on rigorous suicide watch, and has spent seven-and-half months in jail in solitary confinement for 23 hours a day, with one hour of recreation time.

Milzman pled down the charge and was sentenced Monday to a year and a day in prison, with time already served in jail credited to his sentence.