Basketball Preview | GU Adds 2 Freshmen, 2 Transfers to Roster

WBB Freshman garfLast season, lacking the presence of seniors and with the addition of a freshman class of five players, the Georgetown women’s basketball team was one of the youngest in the Big East. The team struggled, posting a 4-27 record. This year, much of the same roster returns, and the team will add several new faces as well.

The new faces — graduate student guard Jasmine Jackson, junior guard Mykia Jones, freshman center Jodi-Marie Ramil and freshman guard Dionna White — will look to help the Hoyas improve this season.

This year, the freshman class is relatively small, with only Ramil and White joining the Hoyas from the high school ranks. These two additions have already garnered significant attention and will add youth to a roster with a great deal of experience.

Ramil, a center from Binghamton, N.Y., stands at 6-foot-2. She is currently one of just two centers listed on the roster alongside sophomore Yazmine Belk. As a senior in high school, Ramil earned a spot in the Basketball Coaches Association of New York State Top Ten. When the Hoyas travelled to Europe over the summer to play against three professional teams, Ramil shined against SMUC-Marseille in Marseille, France, contributing 13 points in a 105-51 triumph.

Dionna White, a 5-foot-7-inch guard out of Baltimore, has already impressed Head Coach Natasha Adair, who was quick to praise her mentality and ability on the court.

“Dionna is a player. She is a baller,” Adair said. “When she steps on that floor she has ice in her veins.”

Entering the season as the No. 22 ranked guard recruit in the Class of 2015 according to ESPN, White made an immediate impact with her performances on the team’s trip to Europe. She put up 11 points in the win over SMUC-Marseille and 16 points in a win over the AMW All-Stars in Paris.

“When she steps on the court you don’t know she’s a freshman,” Adair said. “I expect big things from her.”

Although she aims for high grades in school, the freshman emphasizes the team’s goals over her own success on the court.

“School-wise, I would like to get a 3.0 [GPA]. Basketball, I’d just like to help my team with whatever they need me to do,” White said.

Jackson, who hails from Old Bridge, N.J., returns to the Hoyas as a graduate student. Jackson played at Georgetown from 2011-2013 before transferring to George Mason in her junior year.

She came to the Hilltop as a highly regarded recruit, having scored more than 1,800 points in her time at Old Bridge High School in Matawan, N.J. At Georgetown, Jackson appeared in seven games as a freshman, averaging 2.0 points and 1.4 rebounds per game. She had a breakout season as a sophomore, a year that included a pair of 12-point games against Delaware and LaSalle and a career high 15-point game against Notre Dame.

At George Mason, Jackson redshirted her junior year in accordance with NCAA rules. In her senior year as a Patriot, she started in 26 of her team’s 30 games with averages of 9.6 points per game, 3.7 rebounds per game and a 33.2 percent shooting percentage from the field. For Jackson, leaving Georgetown to go to George Mason was never an easy decision.

“I thought about it, and then I was like, you know what, yeah, I do want to come back, just to finish what I started. Because I never wanted to really go to begin with. You know, Georgetown has always been a place that I wanted to get my degree from,” Jackson said.

As a seasoned player, Jackson will bring both leadership and extensive experience to Georgetown.

“And from the time [Jackson] stepped back on the floor, another voice, another leader in that locker room, where I just thought we were missing a little bit of that a year ago. Now we have that,” Adair said.

Though not eligible until next season, Jones, a transfer guard from Wake Forest, will also add another dimension to the roster. Another high school standout, Jones started four games in her first season at Wake Forest. In her rookie campaign, she recorded an average of 3.2 points and 1.4 rebounds per game and shot almost 30 percent from beyond the arc. As a sophomore, she started 10 games, averaging 4.9 points per game, 1.7 rebounds per game and a 32.1 percent shooting percentage from the field. Jones’ ability to shoot from distance should give Georgetown an extra weapon and scoring threat once she can take the court.