MEN’S BASKETBALL | 2021-22 Big East Power Rankings

MENS BASKETBALL | 2021-22 Big East Power Rankings
  1. Villanova — Last year, Villanova fell in the Sweet 16 to champion Baylor University. Star guard Collin Gillespie is now healthy and hoping to lead the Wildcats to a national championship in his final season. Despite losing forward Jeremiah Robinson-Earl, Villanova picks up where it left off with four upperclassmen starters returning from 2020-21. 
  1. UConn — UConn looks to build on a strong 2020-21 season. Losing an explosive scorer James Bouknight to the NBA, the Huskies will turn to a returning core of players. Although Bouknight did provide an offensive push, UConn returns its top five scorers of the season, led by guards RJ Cole and Tyrese Martin to pick up the slack.  
  1. St John’s — The return of guard Julian Champagnie should put St. John’s in the mix for a March Madness bid. The Red Storm had the highest-scoring offense in the conference last season, and hope Champagnie and guard Posh Alexander, who averaged 10.9 points per game last year, will help prolong St. John’s offensive dominance.  
  1. Xavier — With a disappointing Big East ranking last season, Head Coach Travis Steele hopes to bring success back to the Musketeers. One of Xavier’s strengths will be its roster’s continuity. Seven seniors make their way back to the Musketeers this season, so Xavier is banking on that experience and age facilitating a rise in standings.
  1. Butler — The Bulldogs had a disappointing 2020-21 season, but the return of their four double-digit scorers suggests they are likely to improve this campaign. However, Head Coach LaVall Jordan still has work to do, as Butler’s offense finished last in points per game in the Big East, rebounds per game and field goal percentage last season.
  1. Seton Hall — The Pirates should expect another solid season with a chance at the NCAA tournament. While forward Sandro Mamukelashvili has moved on to the NBA, the Pirates expect star guard Jared Rhoden to step into Mamukelashvili’s shoes.  
  1. Providence — The departure of point guard David Duke, fifth in the Big East in points per game and firsts in assists per game last season, to the NBA leaves Providence with a massive hole to fill. Friars fans should not despair, however, as veteran Head Coach Ed Cooley knows the ins and outs of Big East basketball, which should prevent the Friars from falling to the bottom of the Big East.  
  1. Georgetown — Coming off a Big East championship, the Hoyas look to ride a wave of momentum. Despite losing key contributors Jamorko Pickett and Jahvon Blair, and the shocking transfer of Qudus Wahab, Georgetown expects a fusion of young talent and returning players to carry the torch. Look for a strong performance from guard Dante Harris, the 2021 Big East Tournament Most Outstanding Player, and an impressive rookie campaign from guard Aminu Mohammed to help Georgetown fill its holes this season.  
  1. Creighton — Creighton finished second in the Big East and advanced to the Sweet 16 for the first time in 47 years, yet the Bluejays will struggle to replace the offensive contributions of guard Marcus Zegarowski and guard Denzel Mahoney — the Bluejays’ two top scorers last season. However, the return of forward Damien Jefferson should help buoy Creighton’s offense.
  1. Marquette — The Golden Eagles are in for a transition season. Returning only two starters, Marquette has lost all five of its leading scorers. The current season may look bleak, but with an influx of young talent, Marquette hopes to build experience.

11. DePaul — DePaul played the fewest games of any Big East team last season because of COVID-19 and finished last in the conference. The Blue Demons’ top scorer, guard Charlie Moore, transferred in the offseason. DePaul will struggle to compete offensively.