MEN’S LACROSSE | Georgetown Breezes Past High Point 22-10

With three consecutive wins this weekend, the Georgetown men’s lacrosse team posted its highest-scoring nonconference game since 2020.

The Hoyas’ March 18 victory against the High Point University Panthers (6-3) hopefully signals a return to good form for the No. 16 Georgetown Hoyas (3-3) after an undeniably disappointing start to the season. St. Patrick’s Day weekend brought out the fans, with a healthy contingent of both Georgetown and High Point supporters descending upon Cooper Field.

Georgetown was in control from the get-go, leading High Point 6-0 to open the first quarter. Strong Hoya defense held the Panthers to just 3 goals in the first half.

The Hoyas dominated in nearly every category in the first quarter. Georgetown posted a solid 14 shots, with 11 on net. Graduate faceoff specialist James Reilly went 9-1 on faceoffs in the first quarter, setting the tone and providing the Hoyas with the majority of possessions.

Notably, graduate attacker Brian Minicus posted a hat trick just halfway through the first quarter. Minicus would tack on another goal to close out the quarter, giving Georgetown a 7-2 lead.

By the second quarter, the game was already over. The Panthers scored the first goal, but it would be their only point of the quarter. The Hoyas rattled off 7 unanswered goals to take an impressive 14-3 lead into halftime. Minicus would complete a double hat trick before halftime, posting another 2 goals and an assist in the second frame. Six other Hoyas also found the back of the net, leading to an impressive first-half team performance.

GUHoyas | The Georgetown men’s lacrosse team (3-3) cruised past High Point (6-3) 22-10 as the Hoyas look to turn their season around after a disappointing start to the season.

Georgetown opened up the second half rather uniquely: Its first 2 scores were pole goals from junior defenseman Will Tominovich and graduate defenseman Will Bowen off of assists from graduate attackman Tucker Dordevic. After these 2 goals, High Point had its brightest run of the game, scoring 3 unanswered goals. The third quarter ended with both teams scoring 4 goals apiece.

To regain momentum, senior midfielder Graham Bundy Jr. scored 2 goals in quick succession, bringing the score to 18-6. These goals made Bundy Jr. the 11th player in program history to score 100 career goals.

Before the end of the game, a few other Hoyas notched notable accolades. Junior attackman TJ Haley climbed to fourth on Georgetown’s all-time assist list and also became the 30th Hoya in program history to have 100 career points. Graduate midfielder Jacob Kelly also scored his 100th career point, split between his time on the Hilltop and at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where he played for four seasons.

With the game essentially won, the fourth quarter had myriad Hoyas see the field. In the end, 11 different Hoyas found the back of the net, and Kelly completed his hat trick with 2 more goals in the fourth. The Panthers, too, were able to tack on 4 more goals to close out the game — 1 goal at the end of the third quarter and 3 more in the fourth quarter.

On the defensive end, sophomore goalie Michael Scharfenberger has been a revelation for the Hoyas over the past three games. Since being named the starter after Georgetown began the year 0-3, the sophomore has led the team to three consecutive wins. Despite only posting a .483 overall save percentage, all signs point to Scharfenberger as the future of the Hoyas’ backline.

A return to form hopes to see the Hoyas begin to climb back up the national rankings. Georgetown will host Lehigh University (5-2, 2-1 Patriot League) at 12 p.m. on March 25 at Cooper Field.