New Food Hall Comes to Downtown D.C.

A dining and drinking complex, The Square, opened in downtown Washington, D.C., Sept. 5, offering guests a diverse flavor palette from oysters to churros to pizza.

The Square, over 25,000 square feet and located in the International Square’s glass atrium, is two years in the making. The Square will provide catering services to local offices, revitalizing a building that was formerly vacant. 

Rubén García, known in D.C. for having worked alongside José Andrés, and Richie Brandenburg, a former member of the José Andrés Group, are heading The Square. Both García and Brandenburg have experience with food markets: García was a part of the opening of Mercado Little Spain in New York City, and Brandenburg helped make Union Market in D.C. into a popular local destination. 

Patrons can find meals inspired by global flavors at The Square. There are numerous options from Spanish dishes to sushi to pizza. The Square aims to bring together many cultures, exemplifying the melting pot that is D.C. 

“Here, cultures and cuisines live side-by-side in a way that only happens in America’s most worldly city. Scents arouse satisfaction,” The Square’s mission statement reads. 

García and Brandenburg are aiming to create a collaborative space for the restaurant stalls at The Square. The businesses will not pay rent to The Square and instead will give The Square a percentage of their sales.

Restaurants that opened on Sept. 5 inside the complex include Atrium Bar, Brasa and Cashion’s Rendezvous. 

Atrium Bar has later operating hours than the others and offers beverages. Brasa, run by García, offers Spanish street-food. 

Cashion’s Rendezvous, serving options like oysters and crab cakes, is headed by John Fulchino and Ann Cashion, a James Beard award winning chef. Other restaurants coming soon include Casa Teresa, a Spanish restaurant, Flora Pizzeria, an Italian restaurant and KIYOMI Sushi by Uchi. The Square will also have popup restaurants.

The Square has the potential to draw in Georgetown University students with many different cuisine options. One student, Alisha Singh (CAS ’25), said that she is excited to see what The Square has to offer.

“I would be interested in going to The Square. I love getting to explore new places in DC and try food I’ve never had before,” Singh wrote to The Hoya. 

The Square is a different concept than the local restaurants directly in the Georgetown neighborhood, as it offers many different cuisines in one central location. The Square is located near many downtown businesses but could attract students as well.

“I think The Square could be a cool way for people to try several new restaurants they haven’t heard of before. If it’s close enough to campus and the price is reasonable then I could see it being popular with students,” Singh wrote.
The Square is currently open Monday to Friday 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Weekend hours are expected in the future as well. Several stalls are open as of Sept. 5, and many others are set to open shortly.