Wiener Dogs Race At The Wharf

One hundred and twenty-eight dachshunds dashed 70 yards down District Pier at the 11th annual Wiener 500 Dachshund Dash on Sept. 16.

The event was part of The Wharf’s Oktoberfest festivities and drew hundreds of dog lovers. Each dachshund’s entry fee contributed to the support of Rural Dog Rescue, an organization dedicated to saving dogs from high-kill shelters. The event successfully raised a total of $4,396.

The race divided participants into 16 heats, each consisting of eight dogs. The winners from these heats advanced to the semi-finals, and the top four fastest dogs from each semi-final raced in the final.

The first-place winner took home a trophy and a cash prize of $100. The second-place winner took home $75, and third place received $50.

The dogs start in the arms of one of their owners and must run to the open arms of another of their owners. To claim victory, the entire dog, from nose to tail, has to cross the finish line. The official determination of each heat’s winner was made via a video finish, overseen by two volunteers from Rural Dog Rescue.

“These ladies have the hardest job of the entire day,” Tommy McFly, the event’s emcee, said at the show. “They’re the ones who are doing the slow-mo video photo finish, and I’m bringing them out here to show you how nice they are and remind you that today is all in fun.”

Spectators were in high spirits, filling the pier with excitement as they eagerly awaited the start of each heat. Owners showed their support by holding up signs with their pet’s name, wearing shirts featuring their pet’s face and erupting into cheers when their dog’s name was called.

Candy Cangialosi, the owner of Winston, a six-year-old dachshund, knew that her dog had to participate due to his need for speed.

“He’s very stubborn, as dachshunds are,” Cangialosi told The Hoya. “But he’s a lot of fun and loves to run really fast, so that’s why we brought him.”

Some of the dachshunds were seasoned participants, aiming to beat their previous records. Brody, a two-year-old rescue, had come to redeem himself after he was disqualified the previous year.

“He actually had a bit of a false start,” Grace Kim, Brody’s owner, told The Hoya. “I think he was let go too early.”

This year, Brody was meticulously trained and prepared for a second chance at victory.

“He’s been resting his legs,” Kim said. “Soft food only. Only the best for Brody.”

Brody’s training did not pay off, as he did not leave the start line after the whistle blew, coming in last place for his heat.

Lizzie Ingrassia (CAS ’25) came to see the race as a fun study break.

“I really miss my dog at home, and this is a super fun way to be around dogs,” Ingrassia told The Hoya. “It’s also been a good way to distract myself from school.”

On Sept. 16, 128 Dachshunds raced down District Pier at The Wharf.

In the final race, eight dachshunds named Archie, Beans, Beanz, Ellie, Henry, Nutmeg, Quila and Willow battled for the title. Although Archie had been victorious the previous year, this time, he secured the third position overall.

It was a close contest between first and second place, but Willow emerged as the winner, earning the coveted title of the Wiener 500 Dash champion, narrowly beating second-place finisher Quila.

Most spectators found the event to be both fun and in support of a good cause — despite the intense competition and passionate cheering from the crowds.

“Everyone is smiling and having a good time,” Ingrassia said. “How can you complain when you’re surrounded by like 100 dogs?”