Acronyms We Wish Existed

AcronymsHere at GU, we love acronyms. It’s not uncommon to head off to the ICC from the MSB to meet your friend (who’s in the NHS), grab a cup of coffee at MUG and start talking about your OA from NSO who’s a GUAFSCU Member and loves GUGS. Okay, so that might be a bit of a strange occurrence, but it is nonetheless an accurate representation of Georgetown’s undying infatuation with abbreviations formed by word components. Here at The Fourth Edition, we’ve had our brushes with acronyms in the past, but now, we’ve put on our thinking caps once again to come up with a special list of Georgetown acronyms… that don’t exactly exist. Yet. Here are some acronyms we wish existed:

EW – (eating Wisey’s) Let’s face it. We’re all addicted to the savory flavors of Wisemiller’s Grocery & Deli. Imagine this conversation:

Hoya 1: “Hey bro, where are you?”

Hoya 2: “Oh, you know, just grabbing a Chicken Madness. EW!”

Hoya 1: “Aw, man! I’m so jealous. I’ve been craving a Hot Chick all week. I wish I was EW-ing right now!”

AIL – (Alone in Leo’s) That awkward moment when you don’t have anyone to lunch with so you’re stuck in the loner section downstairs by the windows. It accompanies one of my editor’s favorite pre-existing acronyms, SEAL (Senior Eating At Leo’s) A sample text conversation example of AIL-ing:

Hoya 1: “Hey what’s up?”

Hoya 2: “I’m failing everywhere right now. I’m a SEAL AIL.”

Hoya 1: “Haha. That stinks, but it happens to the best of us.”

LOL – (Living on Lau) Courtesy of Blog Editor, Lindsay Lee, LOL describes that tragic time that comes before that big Bio test, the day preceding your ITrade midterm and, of course, during Finals Week. Side effects of LOL-ing include laughing at cubicle puns and procrastinating on Lau 2. Used in context:

Hoya 1: “How are you?”

Hoya 2: “Ugh. Classic LOL.”

Hoya 1: “LOL!”

Hoya 2: “You’re here too?!”

Hoya 1: “No. Just laughing at your sadness.”

YSO – (Yates show off) Also provided by Lindsay Lee – Yeah, we see you, Mr. Bodybuilder*. We all know you can bench 210 and squat 250, so there’s no need to prove it as all the ladies walk by.

Hoya 1: “That guy keeps doing curls in front of the mirror every time girls walk by.”

Hoya 2: “What a YSO.”

*YSOs can also be ladies. Check out this common example with a female YSO:

Hoya 1: “I can’t believe that girl. She kept looking at me and running faster on the elliptical like we were racing!”

Hoya 2: “I know. She did that to me the other day. She’s such a YSO.”

ROB? – Rhino or Bandolero? A common conundrum that pops up on Thursday nights around 11:30 pm. Example:

Hoya 1: “Where should we go tonight? ROB?”

Hoya 2: “Let’s just stick with Tombs. Much classier.”

BAG! – Bradley’s at Georgetown! The expression screamed by thousands of girls when our favorite alum makes a surprise appearance. Por ejemplo:

Hoya 1: “Shut up. No way.”

Hoya 2: “What?”

Hoya 1: “BAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGG!” (Runs out of classroom screaming)

SANASuper athletic, non-athlete Used frequently by the bleditor (blog editor) to describe those who are genuinely athletic but who aren’t quite up to the demanding D1 standards of Georgetown. These people hate being classified as NARPs (non-athletic, regular person) so here’ a new term for them.

Hoya 1: “Who should we get for our intramural basketball team?”

Hoya 2: “definitely ask Joe, he’s such a SANA”

Hoya 1: “Okay, what about Jane? She’d probably be good too”

Hoya 2: “Nah man, she’s just a YSO” (see what we did there?)

How do you feel about our acronym choices? What would you add? Hit us up in the comments below and don’t forget to share all the AL (acronym love) on Facebook!

Photo: Etsy