MEN’S BASKETBALL | Assistant Ivan Thomas to Leave Hoyas for Top Job at Hampton

@coachivanthomas | Georgetown assistant coach Ivan Thomas will reportedly leave the Hoyas for the head coaching position at Hampton University.

Georgetown University men’s basketball Associate Head Coach Ivan Thomas is set to leave the Hoyas for the head coaching job at Hampton University, according to The Field of 68.

Sources first reported Thomas’s move March 13, before the Hoyas’ (9-23, 2-18 Big East) season-ending 74-56 loss to Providence (20-12, 10-10 Big East) in the first round of the Big East men’s basketball tournament that night. Georgetown Athletics has not yet confirmed Thomas’s move to Hampton (9-24, 3-15 CAA). 

Thomas followed Hoyas Head Coach Ed Cooley from Providence to Georgetown, serving on Cooley’s respective staffs for the past eight years. He has deep ties to the city of Hampton, Va., where the university is located, having served as the head coach of Kecoughtan High School in Hampton from 2008 to 2015.

Cooley said losing Thomas would be a blow to the Georgetown program. 

“If he’s fortunate enough to lead another university, that’ll be a great loss, it’d be a great loss and it’s gonna be a lot to replace him,” Cooley told The Hoya. “We’ll find the best person that fits us, but until I’m told by him that he’s leaving, right now, his ass better be working for Georgetown.”

Thomas will replace Edward Joyner Jr., who served as Hampton’s coach for 15 seasons.