Entrepreneurship Day Promotes Student Innovation

More than 300 people attended the third Georgetown Entrepreneurship Day on Nov. 9.

The event, which was sponsored by the Georgetown Entrepreneurship Initiative, the Hoya Challenge and the MBA Entrepreneurship Club, provided students with the opportunity to reach out to business owners in the D.C. community.

According to Director of Entrepreneurship and Real Estate Initiatives Jeff Reid, the event had three goals: to expose students to entrepreneurship, provide students with an opportunity to pitch their ideas to experts and receive feedback and incorporate the entrepreneurial community into campus life.

The two-day event included a career panel series, keynote speakers, small-group breakout sessions and a closing reception.

Sarah Henderson (MSB ’14), leader of the Hoya Challenge, organized a rocket pitch competition, that allowed 18 teams to pitch two minute business ideas in front of a panel of 25 judges.

“It was super exciting and fun to watch,” Henderson said.

Tara de Nicolas (GRD ’13) won the rocket pitch.

“As an entrepreneur, you feel so alone in your own little world with own ideas but to be around people who are really achieving their dreams really opened the door for me to a community of individuals that I can learn from. It was truly inspiring,” she said.

Reid said he was pleased with turnout at the event.

“It was a widely diverse crowd. They gave great feedback about the speakers and really enjoyed hearing the student’s ideas,” Reid said. “I hope it becomes an annual event and the highlight of the fall semester for the entrepreneurial community at Georgetown.”

However, Henderson said she hopes more people attend next year.

“In the future I hope that there is a higher turnout of undergraduates,” Henderson said. “I think that many undergraduates, especially in the business school, don’t think much about entrepreneurship, but it’s a cool day to network and meet people in the field.”