VOLLEYBALL | Freshmen Spark Georgetown to Solid Start

Head Coach Arlisa Williams and the Georgetown women’s volleyball team opened up their season this past weekend, beating George Mason and falling to American at the D.C. Challenge. The Hoyas are looking to build upon their 2010 performance, when they went 5-9 in conference play en route to a 15-15 overall record. So far, with a 1-1 record, the final scores seem comparable but the play has been intense. Despite the loss of last season’s seniors, the squad seems well on its way to some awe-inspiring plays.

Georgetown will sorely miss the presence of graduated outside hitter Kortney Robinson on the front line. Robinson led the team last year in total points as well as total kills.

However, the Blue and Gray can still rely on some of last season’s strongest players.

Senior setter Ashley Malone is an all-around superstar: She led the squad in hitting percentage and service aces last season, playing in every single set, and is currently leading the Big East in assists per set.

Junior middle blocker Lindsay Wise, tied for tallest on the team at 6-foot-3, made a powerful impact on the court for the Hoyas last year, leading the team with a whopping 130 blocks and placing second on the team in kills with 242 over just 30 matches. Wise is already on her way to another influential season, recently tallying 11 blocks and 20 kills in the first two games of the season alone at the D.C. Challenge.

Senior captain and libero Tory Rezin, who led the team last season with 428 jaw-dropping digs, is making a positive impression so far, recording 32 digs and 16 assists already this season.

Georgetown won’t be relying exclusively on veterans this season, however. A strong freshman class has already turned heads as the 2011 newcomers to the college volleyball scene.

Freshman Alex Johnson by now has begun making her mark as a Hoya, leading the team in kills through two matches with 23 total. The Florida native has also contributed 14 digs.

Freshman middle blocker Dana White has also hit the ground running, right on Johnson’s tail for the team kills lead with 22 total.

With the first tournament of the season under its belt, Williams’s squad looks forward to improving upon its 1-1 record. They have their next chance to bring home some victories at the Deacon Invitational, which runs today through Tuesday, hosted by Wake Forest. There they will come up against North Florida, Arkansas and Wake Forest before ending the tournament playing host to VCU.