Robbery, Assault On N St.

Two male students were robbed at gunpoint of more than $2,000 worth of cash and other property Sunday night, according to a Metropolitan Police Department incident report.

The students told MPD that they were walking near N and 33rd Streets when they saw the two suspects, both described as black males wearing dark clothing, standing against a fence. One of the suspects asked the students for a cigarette, and both students turned.

One of the suspects then brandished a handgun and told the victims to “shut the [expletive] up” while the other searched through the victims’ pockets and took their property.

After the theft, the suspects told the two students to turn around and count to 10. The suspects then fled toward Wisconsin Avenue.

The robbery was the second of two unrelated incidents to occur on N Street Sunday. At about 2 a.m. that day, a female student reported that she believed she was sexually assaulted on the 1400 block of36th Street, a block from the front gates.

Though she could not remember the details of the incident, the victim told MPD that she either fell or was pushed to the ground by a white college-aged male with a buzz cut. The suspect was described as wearing a dark shirt and blue jeans.

The victim, who suffered abrasions to the face, was interviewed at the scene by MPD detectives and agreed to go to the hospital later with a friend.

These crimes are part of a string of incidents marking an overall increase in crime during the past month.

The Department of Public Safety reported 57 crimes on and around campus in February, a 67 percent increase from the same period last year and a 15 percent increase since January, when 48 cases were reported.

Fifteen of February’s cases are severe enough that they are being handled by MPD, more than double the seven cases referred to MPD in January.

A slight increase in theft contributed to the jump in overall crime incidents. DPS reported 25 cases of theft this month, compared to 20 in February 2011 and 22 in January 2012.

However, burglaries, which involve breaking and entering while thefts do not,  declined significantly, falling to two from nine cases in January.

The month also saw a greater incidence of harassment than any recent month. Five cases have been reported since Feb. 1, while none were reported in January.

The remaining cases include two cases of destruction of property, five cases of public indecency and three drug violations.

Of the 57 incidents reported, 15 were referred to MPD, eight were closed by DPS, eight were referred to student conduct and 26 are still pending investigation.

Hoya Staff Writer Matthew Strauss contributed to this report.