The Silver Lining: Finals and All-Nighters

FinalsOn Friday, classes end for the semester, which is certainly a huge relief.  Unfortunately, two and a half weeks of intense studying, paper-writing and finals-taking still stand between us and going home. However, finals “week” isn’t all bad, and I definitely encourage everyone to step back, take a deep breath and look at the positives of finals.

1. Meeting New People Study space during finals week is limited, which means that, unless you are in a cubicle in Lau, you will most likely be studying with friends. In many cases, that means you will be studying with your friends’ friends, too. And there is (arguably) no better time to make new friends than during finals week. Who knows, maybe while you’re cramming for that economics exam you’ll meet a lifelong friend … or, worst case scenario, someone to give you final-exam-memetissues as you cry in a Lau cubicle.

2. Bonding Aside from making new friends, finals week is a time to get to know your current friends better. You will probably spend a lot of time studying together. Like, A LOT of time. And you can learn some interesting things about people at 4 a.m.

3. Trying New Things Finals week offers a wonderful opportunity to try new drinks from The Corp or Starbucks. While your wallet will be lighter, you will be very familiar with the drink list for second semester.

4. Not Going to Class This one is pretty obvious, but in the hustle and bustle of finals and sleepless nights, at least you don’t have to sit through lectures every day. Plus, it leaves a lot of time for “activities.” Although I guess technically all that time is for studying.

5. Watching The Sunrise Whether you are looking out of a Lau window or walking down the hill toward Leo’s, the sunrise on Georgetown’s campus is gorgeous. And I can pretty much guarantee that finals week is the only time around 90 percent of Georgetown students might be awake to see the sunrise. Plus, it looks really cool when your vision is distorted by weariness/tears.

6. Achieving the Satisfaction Nothing feels better than finishing your last final/assignment. When you’re walking across campus in the middle of the night after finishing your last paper, listen to “We Are The Champions” by Queen. It’s unreal.

Good luck on all your finals, Hoyas, and just remember, when you’re feeling really stressed about that 10-page theology paper, there is a silver lining.

Photos: Undergrad.OSU, Wallpapergang